Sick Toggenburg Goat

More
6 years 9 months ago #534173 by Sande
Replied by Sande on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
Kate
I intend to drench just waiting for LongRidge to answer my post with the name of a Abendazol based drench that does NOT contain Levamisol.

I will get some tomorrow.
Sande

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534174 by Sande
My husband drenched our Angoras in April with a drench he got from the vet and 4 died. So we do not want to use the same drench.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534176 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
Sande, we use BOMATAK C on our goats with no ill effect. You can look at it here Bomatac C comes in a litre bottle which is under or around $20
You can also get those coloured rain proof calf covers for your goat. They came in different sizes, so you'd need to choose on the length of the goat. The elastic on the rear needs a double twist around the back legs ( like a figure 8 ). They are not lined, but it would be quite easy to stitch part of an old blanket or similar onto the inside for warmth if you are at all handy with a sewing machine. Quite cheap to buy or more expensive for the pre lined variety. My Nanny wore one of these for the cold months of Spring, last year.
calf covers .

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534177 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
Hi, sorry the goat is not well. I would suggest you give the goat some Glucose/Dextrose in her water, say 2-3 tablespoons in an ice cream container of water. It dissolves easily. The Glucose/Dextrose gives energy and often will just keep them going. You can purchase this from the supermarket.
The worms that are being spoken of regenerate at a massive amount daily within the insides of the goat, thousands of them and they just suck the blood of the animal and make them aenemic, and very quickly succomb to death. No ACV vineagar or garlic will actually kill these sorts of worms. Usually it will take 2 drenches to completely clean them worms up. I wish you the best of luck. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
6 years 9 months ago #534178 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat

Sande wrote: My husband drenched our Angoras in April with a drench he got from the vet and 4 died. So we do not want to use the same drench.

Would be interested to know what drench you used for that affect.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 9 months ago #534181 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
We use Matrix or Genesis drenches. I've never lost a goat after drenching....

Web Goddess

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #534182 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
From pages 24 and 26 of 18 July issue of Rural News, the following might contain the correct ingredients and not the wrong ingredients. I cannot guarantee they will work against your goats worms.
Bayer NZ "Bomatak C" contains oxfendazole
Merial Ancare "Genesis Oral" contains abamectin.
Merial Ancare "Ivermectin Liquid" contains ivermectin.
Merial Ancare "Oxfen" contains oxfendazole.
Ravensdown also have a couple that would be suitable but they cannot open containers to supply small quantities.

Merial Ancare "Matrix" contains levamisole, so be careful of the dosage if you use this.
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by LongRidge.

More
6 years 9 months ago #534184 by Sande
Thank you everyone for your imput, there is a lot to process and I will consider all tonight and make a decision as to what course to take tomorrow and I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks so much
Regards
Sande

More
6 years 8 months ago #534313 by Sande
Hi Everyone
I'm just letting you know that my goat is out browsing in the paddock once more.
I appreciate all the suggestions everyone gave me and considered them all.

I treated her by going by what my own gut feelings told me to do.
She was sick for a total of 7 days. I gave her a mixture of Half cup Organic Acidolphus yoghurt with one acidolphus capsule sprinkled in it as well. After the 3rd day of her being sick and no improvement I added to that mix 1 tablespoon Diatomateous Earth Powder (food grade) and 30 mls Vigest. Mixed it all very well and syringed it into the corner of her mouth and she actually sucked it up as it went in. Yesterday (about the 10th day since she got sick) she no longer was interested in it so I figured she is well again and doesn't want it I also syringed into her mouth every second day a mixture of 20 mls ACV and 20mls Water which she did not object to drinking. I also gave her a dose of Colloidal Silver yesterday. While she was sick she would only eat pine needles and thistle (Canaries love it too lol) which I picked for her and she also nibbled on hay. I also gave her lots of cuddles. She is so affectionate.

The vet suggested I drench her but I didn't feel good about that as I have drenched sick animals before and they died.

I am so glad she is so much better, out of her hut browsing again. Watching her carefully tho.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Kindest regards
Sande

More
6 years 8 months ago #534316 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
Hi Sande

That's great news about your goat, it's always fantastic when they're back on their feet and eating.

I'm assuming she didn't have worms after all, as you didn't give her anything that would treat them. It could have been something she'd eaten that upset her or a mild infection or even pain from a knock.

I think you should reconsider not using drenches - they are the only proven way of treating worms and while you have lost goats after drenching that doesn't mean the drench necessarily caused the deaths. Most of us livestock owners drench our animals without problems.

I think in lifestyle farming, as in life, it's important to remember that correlation does not imply causation B) B)

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: spoook

More
6 years 8 months ago #534318 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Sick Toggenburg Goat
If there were worms present, then the colloidal silver and the diatomaceous earth would have given them a scare. It might be worthwhile getting the poo checked for worm eggs, but remember that nothing found means just that, It does not mean that no worms are present, only that no worm eggs were found, which is very different. But if eggs are found then that does indicate that a drench is necessary. When we have not drenched goats that are ill from worms, they die. When I do drench sick goats then often they live and sometimes they die. This leads me quite reasonably to the assumption that if I do drench a sick goat it might die, but it will die if I don't drench it :-(.
As a side issue, with our goats they are much more susceptible to worms when they are pregnant and lactating, or the grass is short.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds