Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped

More
6 years 10 months ago #533785 by Bravo Zulu
Hi Folks

New here - just found you by accident. I intend to have a look around once I get this off to everyone.

Presently raising cattle and sheep and growing corn and soybeans in Canada.

I have a 65 pound ewe lamb that has a weak hind end.

Her temperature is normal, she has excellent eye lid color, eats hay and grain, drinks, has normal urination and defecation and can stand if I set her up. No signs of injury or signs of pain when I handle her.

I have given her some electrolytes, a shot of vitamin A,D & E and nothing else at this time.

Any thoughts?

Any advice before I try to find a veterinarian on a long weekend would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,

BZ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #533786 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped
How long has she been like that?

My only experience of something similar was this .
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Ruth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bravo Zulu

More
6 years 10 months ago #533787 by Bravo Zulu
+It has been about three days now - found her stumbling in the barn and jugged her up.

All of the lambs are vaccinated for this.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533788 by Stikkibeek
Hi Bravo Zulu, you might have to explain the term "Jugged her up" Not familiar with that phrase.
Given you are in Canada, are there any other possible causes such as snake or other venomous bites?

Welcome to the LSB by the way. It would also be nice to hear a little about your lifestyle too.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #533789 by Bravo Zulu
Hi there Stikkibeek,

Jug is what we call the small pens we put single animals in to doctor or bond up with lambs, etc - it is a two sided folding - wooden wall that sits in a pen corner making a box, or a "jug" to hold them. Makes a 6 foot by 6 foot pen to make catching easier.

We are full time farmers and I play around in the aviation world flying big UAV systems or drones - usually around 8,000 pound stuff. It keeps me entertained.

We run a couple hundred sheep and about 50 head of Horned Herfs - and I train the horns down to give them the traditional look.

Long time married - about 40 years - well disciplined - "Yes Dear" is her favorite phrase - a couple of great kids and a couple of grandkids with another on the way (I am not supposed to know yet)

Ask me anything, I am quite prepared to answer except for the off farm work - it requires a clearance and I have to keep quiet about it other than generalities.

Cheers.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533790 by Bravo Zulu
Well,

While I am not one to just throw drugs at an animal I gave her a shot of penillin in event she has a cyst in her back bone. If she makes it she will likely go through the withdrawal period and then be shipped.

Cheers

More
6 years 10 months ago #533798 by Stikkibeek
Thanks for the explanation. I guess NZders are largely still British in customs etc. Talk of "jugged" conjures a picture of "Jugged Hare" a dish I'm not particularly eager to try.
I'd love to be able to play with a little drone. I could see it being useful for checking stock, but alas we are near flight paths for a busy airport, so I should think CAA would take a pretty dim view of us flying little hard to see objects around the sky.

What is your climate like? For growing corn I should think your summers must be pretty good.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 10 months ago #533799 by LongRidge
Navel Ill aka Joint Ill turn up at any time, not just soon after birth. It can be partially reduced by vaccinating the ewe a couple of weeks before paturition, but the effectiveness of this vaccination depends on how well you got the vaccine into the ewe (which can be very difficult), how well the ewe made antibodies (which is impossible to tell, but in NZ one of the producers of anti-clostridial vaccine puts a bit of levamisole in the injection, which surprises the immune system so that the vaccine is converted into antibodies/antigens hugely better), how long after vaccinating the ewe the lamb is born (I re-vaccinate any ewes that have not lambed within 5 or 6 weeks of vaccinating), how soon after birth the lamb suckles (the gut is permeable to the antibodies for only a few hours), and how much colostrum the lamb gets.
My lambs that start limping because of Navel Ill tend to get a swollen joint in the joint that is affected, but there are many places in the lambs body that you cannot feel if an infection has happened :-(. So limping and lambs with breathing problems get a long acting AND broad spectrum antibiotic injection, and another one two or three days later.
Also .... they do not get sold because they will possibly get rejected at the freezing works, so they get killed for our household use.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533803 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped

LongRidge wrote: Navel Ill aka Joint Ill turn up at any time, not just soon after birth.

Not so sure about that in this case, LR. In my experience, navel ill is almost always accompanied by raised temperature and soreness - both of which are reported absent in this lamb.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 10 months ago #533804 by Bravo Zulu

Stikkibeek wrote:
What is your climate like? For growing corn I should think your summers must be pretty good.

Well, winters to minus 35 - 40C - summers are short but days are long - temps get to about 32C - lots of snow - and lots of rain.

Summers and winters are almost exactly 6 months each.

Land grows nearly anything - as long as we can keep the frost from it.

We are rather isolated here and heat 100% with wood in the winter - and cool in the summer by opening the windows.

No cell phone service here.

Roads are all dirt and gravel and it takes some time to go to town.

Nothing special about this part of the world climate wise - lots of places better and worse - but we are fortunate that we like the privacy and the wildlife is pretty spectacular - which is why we also have a herd of big dogs.

Predators do not come around often - even the two legged ones will find the dogs - until introduced - to be quite unfriendly.

Had a bear in the yard last week - dogs put the run to it.

I am off - have about two klicks of fence line to brush out today - going to be a long day.

Cheers

BZ

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #533805 by Ramsay
Replied by Ramsay on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped

Bravo Zulu wrote:
Well, winters to minus 35 - 40C - summers are short but days are long - temps get to about 32C - lots of snow - and lots of rain.

Predators do not come around often - even the two legged ones will find the dogs - until introduced - to be quite unfriendly.

Had a bear in the yard last week - dogs put the run to it.

BZ

Crikey we don't know how good we have it here in NZ :)
Richard
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Ramsay.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533806 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped
Yes we do and if you're a billionaire, you could become a NZer too!

More
6 years 10 months ago #533811 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped

Ruth wrote: Yes we do and if you're a billionaire, you could become a NZer too!

:lol: :lol:
Don't get me started!!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #533817 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Sick Lamb And I Am Stumped
White Muscle Disease? (WMD). It can be caused by a deficiency of Selenium or Vitamin E, it is not generally known which.

What are the Selenium levels like in your soils and or feeds? I recall parts of North America (North East?) can be prone to Selenium deficient soils.

It can affect older lambs and can be quite common in fast growing lambs.

Lambs may still appear bright and have normal appetites, but eventually they become very weak. Sudden exercise may trigger the condition in older lambs.

It can affect the heart, although from you description it doesn't sound like that type, you might get some results from a Selenium Injection as well as the Vitamin E. Just be careful with the dose rate and frequency. Large amounts of Selenium can quickly become toxic.
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Crusha.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533841 by Bravo Zulu
Not a billionaire but might fly down for a visit - have a few friends there.

The land is likely out of our price range

Cheers

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds