NZ made trailers advice.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533292 by wttmf
Hi
Im in the market for a trailer, I want NZ made.
Any input based on your experience with brands appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533295 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic NZ made trailers advice.
get one from Bunnings or Mitre10 then you have a good chance of a remedy if it goes bad.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

• stentor
6 years 11 months ago #533303 by stentor
Replied by stentor on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Brent Smith Trailers are good

More
6 years 11 months ago #533307 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Briford have a good reputation locally.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rokker

More
6 years 11 months ago #533308 by wttmf
Replied by wttmf on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Thanks,anyone looked at Tui trailers?

More
6 years 11 months ago #533310 by Jontashya
Replied by Jontashya on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Have had a Kea trailer for years. Well made never had any problems. Done thousands of km's.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533311 by kate
Replied by kate on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Another vote for Kea, we've had one for years and never had a problem with it....

Web Goddess

More
6 years 11 months ago #533314 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic NZ made trailers advice.
Prescott trailers! www.prescotttrailers.co.nz/

Excellent quality, not cheap yet not too expensive. We have two, a farm trailer that goes behind the quad bike and a stock trailer. Both get dragged about the place and we have not had a thing go wrong with either of them. I have seen the cheaper ones with the bottoms hanging out or unable to carry decent loads and they are simply not worth it in the longer term.

A good time to compare is fielddays. Always wiggle room on the price but at least you can see the various ranges of quality.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533316 by tonybaker
know anyone who does welding? take them along to check it out. I have noticed on some trailers that they drill through the top of the box section to run wires, this lets water in. The wheels and axles are all much the same, maybe some have better tyres. The tyres should be marked 'LT' which stands for light truck. The U bolts that hold the axle on should have Nyloc nuts, although it is easy to put these on top of the existing ones. Surprised no one has mentioned 'Chinese' yet.:P :P :P

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 11 months ago #533324 by wttmf
Brands at top of my list . Prescott, tui , pinto and kea.
Not interested in imported trailers at all.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533329 by wttmf
Had a chat to owner of Prescott, he certainly stands by what they make. Prescott are not the cheapest, but according to him they are in the top few made in NZ as for quality.
For me this trailer is a once in a life time purchase and in 10 or 15 years from now the difference on price will be long forgotten but the quality will remain.
From my research there are some companies claiming to be "made in NZ" trailers only assembled here, I have no problem with made in china except when it comes to welding. All welding I have seen out of china is crap.

Kea and Prescott are around the 8k for 10x5 tandem, 2500gvw, hydraulic braked and stock caged. Tui around 5k with mechanical brake but made in China.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533333 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic NZ made trailers advice.
We bought our trailer 30 years ago. I have been told that it was made as a prisoner training project, so it doesn't have a brand name. It has had very few repairs, but the few that it has had would not have been needed if I had put more steel paint onto it, and if it had been stored indoors. The paint does make the surface slippery, though.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533346 by tonybaker
every retailer will tell you that their trailer is the best! and don't rely solely on anecdotal evidence on here. Write a list of what sort of trailer you need and start by looking at the cheapest one then work your way up the list. If you are an AA member they will do a pre purchase inspection. I would still go with one from a major retailer like Bunnings or Mitre 10 as you can be sure they will still be in business and will be able to honour the warranty years later. Remember, a thing like a trailer can be expected to last for 10 years at least, so under the consumer guarantees act, you are covered for that period of time.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533350 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic NZ made trailers advice.
wttmf, it might be worth checking out the field days. It is good practice to go round venders, get the info and ask about Field day specials. You can also do this with retailers that are not exhibitors. Most will have specials for the month of June.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 11 months ago #533354 by A Hard Rain
I bought a Chinese single axle 8x4 with cage in Christchurch. $2300. It is rated to carry 1100kg excluding trailer weight which was the main attraction.
The wheel bearings failed warrant after a year so received free bearings from supplier and replace them myself. Trailer has taken a beating mainly due to me backing into things but I'm very happy with it. A bonus has been that it tips as the draw bar hinges a couple of feet behind the trailer front. Great for driving quad or tractor onto and for pulling on heavy things like 200 lt drums of diesel. I have hinged the back flap that holds the number plate and lights so I can tuck it under to fully tip the trailer.
I'm pretty happy with it for the price.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds