Young Orpington Rooster Wanting a Good Home

More
6 years 11 months ago #533151 by permaculture15
Hi all,

I have a young Blue Orpington rooster for sale to a good home where he will be kept for breeding, not eating. I don't have Orpington hens, so I can't keep him for breeding.

He's 6 months old, (he just started crowing) and in very good health. I'm selling him for $47. If anyone's interested, please pm me for more info.

I'm located just outside Dargaville, (Northland) so I can always arrange for his pickup to be in D'ville township.

Cheers,

Salma

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533153 by Anakei
Good luck with that.
I had a Blue Orpington cockerel on TM for weeks. I dropped the price down to $10 with no takers, so in the end he went into the pot :( It was a shame because he was a magnificent bird ( though I am no chicken fancier so he probably had crossed eyes or something :lol: ) Still, he tasted good! When I have sold roosters on TM before, they were always bought for the pot, even though they were pure bred.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
6 years 11 months ago #533155 by Rokker
Similar age Blue Orpington roosters are on TM at the moment for around $15 to $20, with a 2 year old at $30. You might be pushing it a bit at $47.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
6 years 11 months ago #533158 by Belle Bosse
Salma, can you get some Black or Blue Orpington pullets or hens and keep the young rooster... it is pretty easy introducing a rooster to hens and Orpingtons are such lovely, friendly, funny, delightful birds to have around.

We have pure bred black and blue Opingtons; 2 blue hens, 4 black hens and a magnificent 9 month old black Orpington rooster who I think is pretty special. His breeder had selected him as future breeding stock when little and allowed me to have him as she knew he was going to a good home. The pullets were nearly 11 weeks old when I collected them and Alex rooster was 8-9 weeks, the baby of the group. It has been fun watching them grow up and taking them from skitty to friendly.

I hope the young rooster does find a good home.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533182 by permaculture15
Morning Rokker,

The reason I am asking $47 is to ensure he goes to a good home and not the pot! Also, roosters on Trademe here in Northland (as well as locally) sell for $45-$50, usually no less, unless they are simply being sold as old culls or for the pot.

Belle Bosse, thanks for your suggestion.

But I actually don't want to keep a flock of Orpingtons because they are not efficient food-egg or meat converters. In my experience, they eat way too much, compared to other breeds of chickens I've kept! They are also very slow-maturing, compared to other breeds.
And I already have a flock of Barred Rock hens+ a rooster for our family's egg needs.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533183 by permaculture15
Morning Rokker,

The reason I am asking $47 is to ensure he goes to a good home and not the pot! Also, roosters on Trademe here in Northland (as well as locally) sell for $45-$50, usually no less, unless they are simply being sold as old culls or for the pot.

But I actually don't want to keep a flock of Orpingtons because they are not efficient food-egg or meat converters. In my experience, they eat way too much, compared to other breeds of chickens I've kept! They are also very slow-maturing, compared to other breeds.
And I already have a flock of Barred Rock hens+ a rooster for our family's egg needs.

More
6 years 11 months ago #533184 by permaculture15
Morning Rokker,

More
6 years 11 months ago #533198 by Stikkibeek
Salma I doubt very much that barred rocks would lay any better than Orpingtons. If you want a good line that will lay well and also be good meat birds, then consider Australorps instead. You can get them now in basic black as well as blue which are very pretty.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
6 years 11 months ago #533228 by Wren

Stikkibeek wrote: Salma I doubt very much that barred rocks would lay any better than Orpingtons. If you want a good line that will lay well and also be good meat birds, then consider Australorps instead. You can get them now in basic black as well as blue which are very pretty.

I'd say it always depends on the line - you'll get good layers of any of these breeds, but also prob not so good. My blue orp definitely lays much better than my Australorp, but obviously that's just comparing two individuals so can't really say anything about breeds, but just goes to show that there will be good and bad lines of Australorp as with any breed. I'd rate Light Sussex (and other colours) as a great dual purpose breed (but then maybe I've just hit lucky with my girls and have great strains ;) ).

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds