Weed Spraying

More
6 years 10 months ago #533110 by Stikkibeek
Weed Spraying was created by Stikkibeek
Is it ok to spray Baton (A 24D product) while the dew is still on the ground? Does anyone know any rule under the hazchem stuff that we need to be aware of re slow moving heavy traffic on a boundary road?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533113 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Weed Spraying
I don't know if it is ok to spray baton (24D) while there is still dew on the ground, but I did find the MSDS for it:
www.nufarm.com/assets/18185/1/Baton_SDS.PDF

I am not an approved handler so I don't know all the details about when and where you can and can't use that stuff...

More
6 years 10 months ago #533114 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Weed Spraying
You could spray with a dew on the ground, but given that Baton is water soluble and that there is about a 6 hour rain fast period probably not recommended to do so to ensure maximum effectiveness.

We quite often spray with a dew or even a very light drizzle with no apparent ill affects on knockdown.

If you are using a knapsack sprayer or even a gun type pressure spayer where you can control the amount of overspray, if any, I don't see a problem with traffic nearby. A mist blower might be a different story.

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #533284 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Weed Spraying
Well the dew didn't seem to make any difference. The blurb on the mixing instructions apparently says that it doesn't matter how much water you mix it with as long as the Kg/hectare ratio is right.
So far, Buttercup, :sick: Storksbill, :sick: mellow, :sick: parsley dropwort, :sick: carrot weed, :sick: cat's ear, :sick: dandelion, :sick: plantain, :sick: chickweed, :sick: creeping speedwell, :sick: California thistle, :sick: Dock, :sick: All looking sick. Not worried about the loss of plantain, as there will be plenty of seed in the ground to come up next spring. Ditto the clovers that may have got touched. 3 paddocks down, 5 to go and just a waiting game now, so we can move cattle about once the first three paddocks are ready to graze again

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533285 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Weed Spraying
I knew a chap - not an old-timer - who reckoned that the best time to spray was early morning when the dew was still on the plants. His theory (which he had read somewhere) was that the plants were "open" to gather the dew moisture and would therefore take up whatever else you added to it. Right or wrong, it made sense to me so I tried it on several occasions and I think the uptake was better on dewy plants than say, the middle of the day.

When you've finished your remaining 5 paddocks, would you like to come and help me get rid of the privet and sedge? Mmm, didn't think you would.:lol:

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
6 years 10 months ago - 6 years 10 months ago #533286 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Weed Spraying
Best way to get rid of privet is to cut off the trunk as low as you can comfortably cut, and then with a hand drill, drill some holes around the stump in the edge, so you get a hole next to the cambium layer. Then with gloves on hands, tip a little neat round-up into those holes.
Is the sedge the Australian one? That's pretty hard to deal with, but wouldn't mind betting that one of the brush killers would work on it. OH has recently sprayed a brush killer on blackberry and gorse and some of the weed species growing on our path and had a great kill. Doesn't touch rye grass at all.

Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
6 years 10 months ago #533297 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Weed Spraying
Spraying with dew on grass can give better uptake as the extra water helps. Dew also gives a visual of the area sprayed to help accuracy.

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds