septic tank teracotta vent

More
6 years 10 months ago #532704 by kai
Our gardener accidentally mowed our terracotta vent for our septic tank. The tank is 1970, a brick lined hole in the ground with a soakaway. I have had a look on line and can't find anything similar, they all seem to be plastic and allow rain to get in. As we get a lot of rain, and their neighbours cannot use their toilet after a lot of rain for the same reason, I don't want that. Also it cannot be anything that floats as when the stream floods, it would float out to the tasman. Ideally it would be a bit more visible than the last as the OH also accidentally mowed the previous one. We happened to find a spare in the chicken coop (hey the obvious place to look for one, doesn't everyone keep a spare in their chicken coop?), so we did not have to buy a new one.

So any ideas where to get another one from?

I have a section of terracotta drain/sewer pipe, which I thought could be used to raise the mushroom to make it more visible, so it does not get mowed again. It would need to be cemented in place of course.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #532714 by tonybaker
it's only a vent that allows the rush of air to escape when you flush the toilet. Plastic ones with a mushroom head are universal now. What you could do is dig down and fit an extension and a couple of elbows and relocate the mushroom to somewhere it will not get damaged. it's an easy DIY. While you are at it, dig the lid off and get the tank cleaned out.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #532723 by kai
Replied by kai on topic septic tank teracotta vent

tonybaker wrote: . While you are at it, dig the lid off and get the tank cleaned out.

It was done in February after it flooded, but was about due for emptying anyway.

There must be somewhere that that still sells them. I did wonder about a builders reclamation yard.

More
6 years 10 months ago #532732 by tonybaker
the plastic ones are harder to break! They don't let the rain in anyway. Your tank probably flooded due to high ground water preventing the drainage field from working. It's a common problem where the water table is high.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
6 years 10 months ago #532744 by kai

tonybaker wrote: the plastic ones are harder to break! They don't let the rain in anyway. Your tank probably flooded due to high ground water preventing the drainage field from working. It's a common problem where the water table is high.

he he he, high ground water?? he he he

The first time it happened the tank was under about 50cm of water, two years ago, last time, it was a mere 20cm under water.

More
6 years 10 months ago #532745 by tonybaker
Oh wow! you really do need to raise the mushroom.....

More
6 years 10 months ago #532767 by judes
Replied by judes on topic septic tank teracotta vent
Hiya, where are you, i am pretty sure I just found one on my paddock 'in situ' feel free to come dig it out, before my horses break their legs in it. I am planning on filling it with gravel soon, if possible. South Canterbury

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
6 years 10 months ago #532769 by kai
Thanks, but wrong island,

Anyway it was replaced today with a plastic one which is securely fixed, so will not float away and is about 50cm off the ground, if the water got any higher, the septic tank would be the least of my worries as the house itself would have flooded.
It did take a bit of explaining to the guy why I wanted it that high.
The following user(s) said Thank You: judes

More
6 years 10 months ago #532785 by tonybaker
yes, I bet he laughed all the way to the bank!!

• stentor
6 years 10 months ago #532818 by stentor
Replied by stentor on topic septic tank teracotta vent
I don't know if it is helpful but when I replaced our broken clay vent with a plastic one I cemented in a tree ring from the local garden centre at a slightly higher height to protect it
About 300mm diameter and cost around $10 so now a car can run over it and the ring keeps out surface water, within reason

More
6 years 10 months ago #532862 by tonybaker
as the septic tank is just a box with a couple of lids, nothing will keep flood water out of it. Water always finds the lowest point. Septic tanks are probably the most misunderstood piece of gear on an LSB!

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds