holding on to an electric fence

More
5 years 3 months ago #532528 by Rokker
Excellent experiment, Spark! The only other factor I can think of that might have affected your results is skin resistance which, together with the internal resistance of a body, will be more than the resistance of a bare copper wire. You could try measuring your resistance by holding one lead of a multimeter, and connect the other lead on a conductive surface that you're standing on (in bare feet), then repeat your experiment with a resistor of that value connected in series with your copper wire.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
The following user(s) said Thank You: neil postie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #532532 by Ronney
I've never understood this thing with electric fences. I hate, loathe and detest them when it comes to myself but there is no doubt that they are effective for stock.

On the other hand, as a child, my daughter would hold on to them, climb through them, or straddle them to get from A to B. It didn't seem to matter what she had on her feet, if anything at all. Before I knew what she was doing, she once told me she got a "funny, wee feeling" in her hand when she touched some of the fences. The penny dropped - she was hanging on to electric. But then she ate raw lemons, skin and all and still does!

Then there was the cowshed where the only person getting a shock through the pipe railings was me - and half the herd.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
5 years 3 months ago #532533 by spark
A multimeter with it's low low "flea-power" measurement voltage isn't really a fair measurement of skin resistance for the purposes of resistance to electric fencing. This is because skin has poor resistance to "tracking", or in other words, once you get enough voltage across your skin resistance, it "breaks down" and its resistance drops significantly. If it is anything to go by, IEC 60335-2-76 (the standard for electric fence chargers), specifies a test resistance of 500 ohms to simulate the body of those unfortunate enough to complete the circuit between an electric fence and earth.

More
5 years 3 months ago #532534 by Hawkspur
Hobnail boots are not good for this. A a relative forgot he was wearing these and helpfully stood on the fence to let others past...

More
5 years 3 months ago #532538 by Rokker
500 ohms! That's low! No wonder you get a real belt in bare feet on wet ground!! :ohmy:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
5 years 3 months ago #532543 by tonic

Ronney wrote: But then she ate raw lemons, skin and all and still does!

Then there was the cowshed where the only person getting a shock through the pipe railings was me - and half the herd.

Cheers,
Ronnie

My boy that used to hold the fences also still eats lemons! Not good for teeth apparently so I try to dissuade him but some days he just needs some lemon! :ohmy:

At a friends place the fence used to short out in the muddy ground by the cowshed entrance occasionally. The cows didn't like it much but the shod horses bringing the cows in really didn't like it!

More
5 years 3 months ago #532544 by neil postie
Spark you are the stuff legends who have too much time on their hands are made of. I am well impressed
However when standing on dry ground in dry new gumboots it still hurts like hell. I almost did the grab test the other day while standing on a wooden section of fencing but chickened/respected out. This sort of experiment is best tried after ingesting alcohol me thinks

More
5 years 3 months ago #532546 by Stikkibeek

neil postie wrote: I almost did the grab test the other day while standing on a wooden section of fencing but chickened/respected out. This sort of experiment is best tried after ingesting alcohol me thinks

Urban rumour has it that the pee test rather than the grab test is the experiment favoured after drinking alcohol. Local F&Chip shop owner got tired of patrons from nearby pub,:whistle: whistling on his corrugated fence., So, he attached electric fence unit to said fence. :evil: It worked.:S

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
5 years 3 months ago #532576 by LongRidge
The pee test is almost the best way to check a hotwire. I can reliably inform you, from personal experience, but not from experimentation, that you only do it once. :-)
The very best way is to go for a swim in the creek, then grab the wire as you slip and slide up the river bank :-).

More
5 years 3 months ago #532577 by Cigar
No, the absolute best way is to touch the hot wire with your head while armpit deep in the trough changing a ballcock fitting...

More
5 years 3 months ago #532581 by spark

Cigar wrote: No, the absolute best way is to touch the hot wire with your head while armpit deep in the trough changing a ballcock fitting...

No, the best way was what happened to my mate - we were both crawling along a ditch half full of water trying to get into position to shoot a deer that didn't know we where there, and when my friend rose up to take the shot, his head touched the hot wire that had been put above the ditch to keep the cattle out of it. The shock decked him :evil: (SPLASH!) and the deer lived to browse another day...

More
4 weeks 1 day ago #557628 by mactent
Reviving an old thread.
Just wondering, we have a basic 4kV setup, which controls the stock just fine.
We use a reel with the pigtails standards to fence off parts of a bigger paddock for selective grazing.
When, wearing gumboots, but in wet grass, you touch or grab the wire, you get a bit of a jolt. Nothing too bad, but would not do it for fun.
If however, wearing the exact same gear, you stand on the electric wire that runs through the pigtails to get to the other side, you can't feel a thing.
If the gumboots are good isolators, it would explain not feeling anything when you step on it, but why can you feel it when you touch it by hand? No link to earth, so there should be no current entering your body, right?
When theory does not quite align with reality.

More
4 weeks 12 hours ago #557634 by tonybaker
When you step on the wire you are shorting it to earth so no current through you. When you hold it, you form part of the circuit to earth but luckily your boots protect you from getting a big shock. Lots of farmers test their system by holding a piece of grass on the wire, they will get a small shock if it is live.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
4 weeks 9 hours ago - 4 weeks 9 hours ago #557635 by Stikkibeek
Only time I ever saw anyone able to hold onto an electric fence and wind the ends to repair a break without getting a shock, was a double amputee i used to work for. ....that is until a nosey heifer chase her dog up behind her and up against her legs above the prosthetics . Arms flew in the air and victim collapsed on the ground. Electric fence took off in two directions and the heifers stampeded over the fence and into the new break. Dog fled for home. And Me? Well I laughed so much I became a little unpopular!....... Well  I had offered to turn the fence off, but she declined.....

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 4 weeks 9 hours ago by Stikkibeek.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #557649 by Off.the.grid
We had an old friend who played this prank on me when i was only 5 years old!
He asked me to shake hands while little did i know he was holding on to the electric fence!
He either was used to it and could handle it or else he was wearing well insulated boots!

Either way I got a massive belt from him!

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds