Renting out a parking site to motorhomes

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #532230 by CamperMate
Hi all,

We're expanding the accommodation category on CamperMate (NZ's most popular camping app) to include driveways, and thought many of you might like to earn incremental income by hosting a motorhome for a night on your lifestyle blocks. You can specify the price, where on your property, the days of the week, and if only for self contained. You don't even have to be on site.

We handle the entire booking process from end to end, taking a 20% commission (which covers all merchant and credit card fees). We'll deposit the 80% directly into your nominated bank account each week. We have 35k users per day actively searching for accommodation each night, your first booking could be just around the corner. Here's a short video that will explain a little more.
If interested, register your driveway here www.campermate.co.nz/list-your-driveway/
Thanks in advance!
Adam (CamperMate Founder)
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by kate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532231 by KaiwakaKids
Hi there. We've used Campermate on holiday before and it workd well for us. For putting our driveway up for rent, do we need to provide campground type facitlities where they park? We'd have water but no separate toilet, shower and kitchen etc. ALso how do I work out what is fair to charge for a night? We have a good parking space in front of the barn but it doesnt have views there, although its not far to walk for some nice views.

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532233 by CamperMate
Hi KaiwakaKids, glad we could be of help!
You are not expected to provide anything more than a safe place for a motorhome to park overnight. Amenities like water, power or WiFi will undoubtedly increase the value of your site, however they are not a requirement. You can decide your own nightly rate per vehicle, however it is important to be competitive. Our suggestion for a basic parking space with no amenities is $10 per vehicle however if you can offer any facilities such as water, power, shower, toilet, wifi then you could go higher. As a guess, I would suggest starting out at $12 per night for your site and seeing how you go. Once logged in, you can also change the pricing so you're not locked into that price. Let us know if we can be of further assistance otherwise to register just follow this link www.campermate.co.nz/list-your-driveway/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rissy

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532238 by tonybaker
you can also list with Campable.com, same sort of thing. I would advise to check with your insurance company first as there are issues around people legally allowed on your property and things like theft and damage. Also it is a taxable activity according to IRD.
If you allow them to plug into your house supply, you need an RCD (residual current device).

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532245 by CamperMate
Thanks Tony, there are a few options to choose from when listing your driveway/space but you may need to consider the legislation around the Campground Regulations, meaning that in most districts you cannot host more than one motorhome without triggering that legislation. In most cases you'll need to make a choice as to which app/platform will generate the most bookings for you. We are also available to assist with advice in getting your driveway ready. Thanks again!

More
7 years 4 weeks ago #532250 by Hawkspur
I think it's a nice idea, and I have a parking spot with a lovely view right beside an outdoor power spot, but it would be a mistake to encourage motorhomes up my driveway: some of them wouldn't make it around the corners.:ohmy: :side:

More
7 years 4 weeks ago - 7 years 4 weeks ago #532260 by Alan Gilbert
As a long-time campervanner and member of the NZ Motor Caravan Association, I strongly recommend that anyone letting campervans on their property should specify that the van MUST be Certified Self-Contained. Such a van will display a sticker that effect—vans must be re-inspected every four years, so check that the date on the sticker has not expired.
Few of the smaller rental vans are certified, and don't have toilets that are actually usable.
If you object to the obscenities with which "Wicked" (an Australian rental outfit that is now infesting New Zealand) sign-write their vans, you would do everyone a favour by banning them too. The sooner those vulgarians are are thrown out of our lovely country the better.
If a van is to be plugged into your electrical supply it MUST have a current (again, less than four years old) Warrant of Electrical Fitness. You may be liable if you allow them to plug in without first checking that.
Last edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Alan Gilbert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur

More
7 years 3 weeks ago - 7 years 3 weeks ago #532315 by Wren

Hawkspur wrote: I think it's a nice idea, and I have a parking spot with a lovely view right beside an outdoor power spot, but it would be a mistake to encourage motorhomes up my driveway: some of them wouldn't make it around the corners.:ohmy: :side:

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing - most car-drivers are a bit terrified the first time up our drive (although it's actually fine once you get used to it) :lol:

And to add to Alan's point, I was talking to a young German backpacker in a DOC hut recently, and he mentioned that he knew of several chemical toilets that had been used in a small vehicle (e.g. station wagon) to get the self-contained sticker, then had been immediately passed onto another vehicle to do the same, and so on. Unfortunately, I think, the pressure from councils cracking down on freedom camping is causing this behaviour. I don't know what the solution is, but I think it's important to be aware, and even if you specify self-contained I would say having a toilet available to the campers would be a good idea.

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.
Last edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by Wren.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532325 by Anakei
I heard about a camper van rental outfit that seals its toilets. If the van is returned with the toilet seal intact then they get a deposit back. Broken seal (ie used toilet), no refund.

Sadly I think the days of freedom camping are going to have to come to an end. Here we have people washing dishes and bathing in the lakes (with soap), pooing in the bushes and leaving trails of toilet paper behind, and camping in every available layby. I live in a cul-de-sac and often have camper vans/cars parked at the end of the road.When they leave there is often rubbish strewn in the drain and worse! The other day I was walking the dog in the Redwoods and there was a pup tent pitched in the middle of the trees!
We are being loved to death.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532335 by Ruth
I wish we'd stop calling it "freedom" camping. It's a freeloader RIP-OFF abuse of our Kiwi politeness which doesn't complain if someone shits in our bushes. In this case not just metaphorically. I can't believe it continues to be facilitated rather than stamped out. How do a load of cheap and careless travellers contribute anything to the communities through which they travel and in which they squat?

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532336 by Anakei
It was fine when it was a few intrepid travelers with a canvas tent and a billy to boil. Now it is out of hand. Councils are having to allot parking, with toilets and showers for the freedom campers and the long suffering ratepayer has to pay for them. If you can afford the airfare from Europe or Australia, I'm sure you can afford the relatively small amount to camp in a designated campsite.
The campsite owners here have people parking in the road and then coming in to use the showers. Its encouraging a freeloading mindset.
So I think driveway camping would be great, but don't be surprised if people use it and don't pay!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532341 by Alan Gilbert

Ruth wrote: I wish we'd stop calling it "freedom" camping. It's a freeloader RIP-OFF abuse of our Kiwi politeness which doesn't complain if someone shits in our bushes. In this case not just metaphorically. I can't believe it continues to be facilitated rather than stamped out. How do a load of cheap and careless travellers contribute anything to the communities through which they travel and in which they squat?

You are assuming that freedom camping is always enjoyed by cheapskate foreigners in uncertified cars or vans.
That is not the case.
The NZ Motor Caravan Association has over 50,000 members, the majority of whom have certified self-contained vans, and are responsible campers enjoying their own country. I get very annoyed with people—and local authorities like the Far North District Council and the Taupo mob—who unthinkingly lump all freedom campers together and refuse to acknowledge the fact that responsible campers in certified self-contained vans are not a problem.
I am not ripping anyone off, and I AM NOT A BLOODY FREELOADER.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hawkspur

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532342 by tonybaker
It would not be so bad if they did not leave their toilet paper to blow around!
Regarding campers not paying, with Campable they deal directly with the visitor, rather like AirBnB and so payment is guaranteed.
I belonged to a company that organised free sites for campervans on peoples property. All the people I met were great and caused no concern, except they couldn't believe there was no charge. For some reason that company decided to give it up.
There is still confusion amongst backpackers about freedom camping, and where they are allowed to stay. Simplest explanation is - if you can't see a toilet block, don't camp!
You know, us Kiwis love to make rules, but we are hopeless at enforcement, we don't want to be the bad guy! That's why we will never clean up our waterways.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532345 by Wren

Alan Gilbert wrote:

Ruth wrote: I wish we'd stop calling it "freedom" camping. It's a freeloader RIP-OFF abuse of our Kiwi politeness which doesn't complain if someone shits in our bushes. In this case not just metaphorically. I can't believe it continues to be facilitated rather than stamped out. How do a load of cheap and careless travellers contribute anything to the communities through which they travel and in which they squat?

You are assuming that freedom camping is always enjoyed by cheapskate foreigners in uncertified cars or vans.
That is not the case.
The NZ Motor Caravan Association has over 50,000 members, the majority of whom have certified self-contained vans, and are responsible campers enjoying their own country. I get very annoyed with people—and local authorities like the Far North District Council and the Taupo mob—who unthinkingly lump all freedom campers together and refuse to acknowledge the fact that responsible campers in certified self-contained vans are not a problem.
I am not ripping anyone off, and I AM NOT A BLOODY FREELOADER.

I completely agree with Alan - I know plenty of kiwis who have spent years freedom camping, and it wasn't a problem until relatively recently. As with anything, there are people who do it responsibly and people who don't, and it's not fair to tarnish the good folk just because some people crap where they shouldn't. We sleep in the back of our car quite a lot, and love having that as an option so we can be flexible and spontaneous as we travel, but that means we're not self-contained so we do need a toilet wherever we park. When we leave, you wouldn't know we had been there. Its not unusual for a campground to charge $45 - >$60 for us to park the car and sleep, which seems quite pricey when all I need is a loo. (Incidentally, the highest priced campsite I went to also charged extra for showers, which I was pretty bitter about given the base cost). We mostly use DOC campsites which suit us perfectly (although the charges for those have also gone up heaps in the last few years) but occasionally freedom camp where when we are allowed. It's a great way to explore this beautiful country, when done responsibly.

Muddling our way through 1Ha on the Christchurch Port Hills, with flocks of heritage chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, Gotland sheep, and Arapawa goats.

More
7 years 3 weeks ago #532346 by Wren

Anakei wrote: Councils are having to allot parking, with toilets and showers for the freedom campers and the long suffering ratepayer has to pay for them.

I don't think this is true, sorry, or at least I haven't seen anything like this on my travels round the South Island.

Christchurch council trialed allotting a freedom camping site (in a place with existing toilets, no showers were provided) last year (I think) but ditched it relatively quickly because management was costing too much, so the ratepayer was clearly considered in this case. I've not heard of any other sites provided by councils.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds