Top Handle Chainsaws

More
6 years 11 months ago #532116 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Top Handle Chainsaws

Ruth wrote: How much of that cheap junk ends up being recycled? Most of it just goes in a skip somewhere and into the ground. People don't care. We must!

That depends on how it gets thrown out - many broken products that otherwise contain recyclable parts are sent to landfill (or thrown in the nearest ditch).

It doesn't help that the kiwi dollar is so strong, and lots of imported stuff is ohh soo cheap to start with because of the lax standards where it is produced (think: run the factories and foul the environment in ways that would be illegal if done in a developed country). The result of this is that so often now it is "more economic" to throw away and replace with new instead of repairing :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532184 by fang
Replied by fang on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
avoid the cheap and nasty ones, as that is all they are. one only has to see the crates of the returns from the likes of bunnings M10 etc at the local scrappys.

the stihl and huskys are a bit pricey, but nothing wrong with middle ground echo, shindaiwa etc , furthermore, instead of buying new junk, look for quality used items

More
6 years 11 months ago #532301 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
I wouldn't waste your time with a chinese saw. Have used various Homelite/chinese/Warrior etc petrol tools and hated every second of it. Buy the MS170 or MS180 by Stihl. The smaller saw was recently on special for $379 from memory. They are lighter weight, more powerful, easier to start, use less 2-stroke mix (50:1 vs 25:1 for most chinese gear), vibrate less, have better safety features (chain brake works better/faster). I could go on and on. Even if it costs double, it's still under $400 for a quality powertool. Guaranteed resale value and a good warranty with nationwide support.

I'd also consider Echo and Shindaiwa as quality alternatives. Used brand name could be a good option with your 'one use' requirement.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532329 by Kiwi Tussock
Replied by Kiwi Tussock on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
I'm with Ruth on this one. We gotta stop buying crap stuff.
What about borrowing a decent saw or maybe buying a decent saw off Trademe and then reselling it.
I'd put money on it, that if you buy a el-cheapo, that you'll be cursing the thing. Im in a different situation & have got 4 different sized chainsaws and regularly use all 4 so think differently I guess. If you were my neighbour or cobber, I'd probably assist but only if I mixed the fuel.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532330 by Kiwi Tussock
Replied by Kiwi Tussock on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
Yep, I'd agree with Keppelk
All my saws are Stihl & yep, they have good resale. Especially if they are a near current model.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532355 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
I don't like my fairly new Stihl 251, and regret not having bought a Husky as a replacement for my 20 year old one

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds