Top Handle Chainsaws

More
7 years 23 hours ago #532061 by JustinNeMo
Hi, I'm just starting to take a douglas fir hedge back to the trunk on my side, 50m long hedge, probably 100 trees max. The thickest branch would probably be the size of a regular person's arm. So, considering getting a really small lightweight top handle chainsaw with short bar length. Price is also a very important factor.

In my research, there's
Mitre10 - TANDEM 20cc 10" - $299
GoodsDirect2U - KNK 25.4cc 10" - $229 ( www.goodsdirect2u.co.nz/product_info.php...h=31&products_id=490 )
TradeTested - own brand 25cc 12" - $159 (regular price $229) ( www.tradetested.co.nz/chainsaw-25cc-with-12-bar.html )
Bunnings - OZITO 25.4cc 12" - $159 ( www.bunnings.co.nz/ozito-chainsaw-25-4cc...o-pcs-305a_p03380765 )

Tandem seems to be a South America brand. KNK is a Chinese brand, the local supplier has got the parts. I'm pretty sure TradeTested's source from China as well, has got local service provide - STIHL shop for servicing.

I am not going to use this chainsaw regularly at all, at this stage just for this one off job which I'm going to pair with a powered hand saw as well ( themowershop.co.nz/wx502 ) for most of the cuts and use the chainsaw for the larger limbs.

Would like to know if anyone has experience with these chainsaws and what are your thoughts on which chainsaw to go for?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 hours ago #532067 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
If it's a one-off job I'd go for the cheapest Chinese one that you think will do the job - treat the machine as an "expendable" to be thrown out at the end - or even flick it off again on TradeMe for a few bucks at the end of the job.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 10 hours ago #532068 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
Because thrown-out gear never sits forever in troublesome landfill sites - or at least it's troublefree because you can pretend you didn't add to it.

Can you not hire one? Buying stuff to throw away is just bad.

More
7 years 8 hours ago #532071 by JustinNeMo
Replied by JustinNeMo on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
The use would be spread through a number of weekends, cost of hiring would but more than buying. Furthermore, there's the extra liability if I somehow break it.

More
7 years 8 hours ago #532072 by Bamboo
Replied by Bamboo on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
Why do you think that you are never going to use it again? It's a 50 m hedge are you going to stop it growing somehow? Go out and buy a small Stihl it will last you and worth the small extra investment. You will aways find a use for a chainsaw around the place. You never regret buying quality but you will curse the cheap stuff when it doesn't work even if it is only a few weekends work (at the moment).

More
7 years 7 hours ago #532073 by JustinNeMo
Its a douglas fir hedge getting taken back to its trunk. It only regrows from green wood.
It's only a quarter acre section and that's the only large trees left, so really, not for a foreseeable future that I'm going to need a chainsaw like Stihl, the extra investment is really not that small, it will be about 3-4 times the price of a cheap one.

I get what you mean, my powertools are mostly dewalt as I use them very often.

That chainsaw is going to end up like my linetrimmer and hedgetrimmer which has been kept under the workshop bench for 2 years collecting dust.

More
7 years 7 hours ago #532074 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
If it's only a quarter acre section then an electric one might be worth investigating. We have a little one that has never missed a beat in almost 30 years and is great for breaking down limbs and branches. It's light weight didn't cost the earth and has an auto chain oiler. Just don't cut through the power cord!:woohoo:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 7 hours ago #532075 by Bamboo
Replied by Bamboo on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
Oh OK . I thought that 50m was part of a property not a 1/4 acre section. Good choice with Dewalt all mine are as well and they were used as trade tools so got a hammering but still g\oing strong. Only thing not Dewalt is 200mm angle grinder which is Hitachi. Went for that as it had a greater wattage/grunt than the dewalt. That too has had a hard life but never missed a beat.
Bought my first socket set at 15 (sidchrome) and still using it today 47 years later! Always paid for quality as it generally lasts, the only downside was staff leaving things like pliers and estwing hammers around on sites never to be seen again.

More
7 years 6 hours ago #532076 by JustinNeMo
I did started off with looking at electric chainsaw even with the smaller ones they are heavier than a small top handle probably due to the size of the motor? Was looking at the Makita 40cm bar 1800w.

More
7 years 3 hours ago #532082 by Rokker
Electric ones are good until you have to start scaling the tree to any height - then the cord becomes a pain in the you-know-where! There are good battery-powered electrics but they're not cheap!

Ruth wrote: Because thrown-out gear never sits forever in troublesome landfill sites - or at least it's troublefree because you can pretend you didn't add to it.

Can you not hire one? Buying stuff to throw away is just bad.

For "throw away", read "recycle". There's no reason at all to consign perfectly good scrap metal to landfill.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 2 hours ago #532085 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
How much of that cheap junk ends up being recycled? Most of it just goes in a skip somewhere and into the ground. People don't care. We must!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kiwi Tussock

More
6 years 11 months ago #532086 by Rokker
Maybe you should start a recycling centre in the far north, Ruth. Last month I took a big trailer load of scrap metal to Metal Man in South Auckland. There are mountains of different things with different metals in them - electric motors for the copper windings, and mountains of old mowers, chainsaws, and other small engines, car batteries, industrial waste metals - the list goes on. Not much metal gets buried these days - unless you're too far from civilisation, I guess.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532094 by A Hard Rain
Replied by A Hard Rain on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
I have a Shindaiwa 280Ts which I think is as good as a Stihl without being as expensive.
In the past I always bought Stihl.

More
6 years 11 months ago #532098 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
Ozito tend to nave the best Guarantee, and in my experience no questions asked, just a new replacement.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
6 years 11 months ago #532108 by stevelono
Replied by stevelono on topic Top Handle Chainsaws
I bought a cheap chainsaw a few years ago, might have even been trade tested. Anyway it was absolute rubbish. Was hard to start from the get go and i probably only used it 3 or 4 times before i threw it away. All the times i did use it i was constantly frustrated on how much of a piece of rubbish it was. I bought a Husqvarna and have had it for a couple years and it is great. Wasnt all that expensive (cheaper then Stihl) but starts easy and runs great. If i was buying any of those that you listed, it would probably be the Ozito.

Time to create page: 0.142 seconds