Seriously scary!

More
7 years 2 months ago #531002 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Seriously scary!
That all sounds really horrid for you flooded people. Sounds like the stock are all safe, which is good. Hopefully it stops sometime soon-the forecast looks a bit dire. Hope you took lots of photos Ruth, at least of the tide marks when it got light!

Rain has arrived down here too-but so far gentle and steady, we had summer yesterday-it got to 28C!.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531003 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic Seriously scary!
Unreal rain here too but fortunately we are in an area that would be hard pressed to flood ...lots of puddles and grass going crazy but alls well here....thoughts with you Ruth ....glad you are good Ronney ......I guess we are having a wild autumn !

Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
7 years 2 months ago #531004 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Seriously scary!
This is the worst of the damage discovered so far.

We can't get out the back yet. The first crossing has an island of gravel which it's never done before, so no driving through there and not knowing how it's scoured out, we're not walking it until the water goes down a bit more either. I want to check the other crossings and the new track, to see how much of the newly spread lime-rock has stayed where it was put. There are also some bee hives which belong to a guy who rang this morning and said he's lost 50 hives down nearer town - drowned, carried away and so on.

It's all very well thinking you can prepare for these things but if they're bigger than you've seen before, some things simply take you by surprise!

We thought we'd lost a trough, but it's there on the river bank, on a kinky angle, caught by the t-junction fitting which is otherwise no longer any good. I've lost my trough siphoning hose (white, about a metre long, two-inch diameter, if anyone downstream finds it), which I'd unfortunately thrown off the bike the other day ready to suck a trough down on the driveway. Had it been daylight in the flood, I might have remembered it and rescued it.

I am very glad we moved the sheep.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531005 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Seriously scary!
Wow! You can get a sense of how high and ferocious the water was to have damaged that fence so much. We don't get a lot of tree rubbish fortunately, but we do get a lot of city rubbish discarded bottles, wrappers, plastics and drink can all washed down from the road. very annoying. i hate to see that sort of rubbish strewn over our land.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #531007 by Ruth
It's full of Tradescantia, which will require careful removal and probably end up being the most detailed clean-up around the whole farm! Damned stupid idiots who left the stuff on the river bank. I know who they are and I feel like phoning and asking them to come down and help!!!

The water has come gently up across the driveway before but never to the height that must have been. We couldn't see it even with torchlight because we couldn't get close enough because of the water closer to the house.

We need our six enthusiastic, engaged, adult children about now. Both of us have injuries which will stop us taking care of any of this with anything like a hiss and a roar. More like a whimper and a whisper.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531008 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Seriously scary!
Did you get my PM?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #531012 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Seriously scary!
Gosh Ruth, I hope you get the help you need, sounds scary indeed happening so fast.

Very sad about the bees too.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531013 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Seriously scary!
Great photo Ruth - amazing that it goes up and then down again so quickly - I mean I understand how that can happen with short steep catchments but it's difficult to comprehend until you see the pics. How much water is normally at that spot?

hilldweller

More
7 years 2 months ago #531016 by Ruth
Normally you can't see it there at all. Our bridge is under all that water.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531019 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Seriously scary!
Would certainly have been very scary to see this at night at the level that ruined the fence!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531050 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Seriously scary!
How are things up North today?

hilldweller

More
7 years 2 months ago #531051 by Ruth
Still damp. There was a flash of sunshine a few minutes ago and the radar suggests it will clear soon.

Some of the driveway's gravel is smooth again, none of the fences are fixed, life will go on.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531053 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Seriously scary!
We've lost fencing too...not to high water but to slips. So far we've found two, both in our kidding paddock which is a nuisance...

Web Goddess
Attachments:

More
7 years 2 months ago #531054 by Ruth
Bugger! The clay just can't always cope with such torrents of water. We've only found one small slump on our new track.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531058 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Seriously scary!
Yep, it's either slips on the hills or lakes on the plains - you just can't win!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds