Seriously scary!

More
7 years 2 months ago #530985 by Ruth
Seriously scary! was created by Ruth
We're in the midst of an enormous flood. Never seen it this high. Had 45 mins of torrential rain and the farm stream has more water than I've ever seen in it before.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530986 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Seriously scary!
My thoughts are with you and all your livestock. At least you have high ground you can move them too. Take care.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
7 years 2 months ago #530987 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Seriously scary!
Couldn't move anything much at 4am with it coming up that quickly. One of the rain meters up in the Herekino Range where our river comes from, went off the scale at 30mm+ per hour between 3 and 4am. I knew it would come down here but couldn't know how high and it just kept getting higher. Thankfully the hen hotel didn't topple over but I'd waded quickly out to it as the water was rising, to open the door of the sleeping part, in case their only option was escape - they'd have to have swum but at least they'd not have been drowned with no escape.

We moved the sheep before all this in anticipation but the pig lives up in their area on the highest ground and at the moment it's still just fingers crossed that she's ok. We'll be able to get there shortly.

Lots of the driveway is in the cowshed, the calves are away up the lane because the river was so fast flowing through the shed where I'd brought them for safety from their covered paddock area ...

I have been extremely unsettled. I suspect this could mean a very interesting morning in Kaitaia, since that's where all this water goes on its way to the see at Awanui. The rainfall was catchment-wide. It'll be interesting to hear from Ronnie later. We'll all be marooned for a few hours at least, until the water gets away.

The water from the main valley stream comes up after our farm one because of the distance from its source and it was higher than we've ever seen it. I started to wonder if we ought to move a few things off the floors! It's going down quickly now from the peak but we won't be able to get out for some time - and I'm not sure we'd want to if town is under water!

More
7 years 2 months ago #530988 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Seriously scary!
Yes, Ronnie's "report" will be interesting, let's hope all is ok.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
7 years 2 months ago #530989 by Ruth
Piggy's ok. We were right to build her on that high point!

We've lost fences along the driveway: flattened! Post and batten there because it's not usually in the way of flooding. Anyone want to learn some fencing?

More
7 years 2 months ago #530990 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Seriously scary!
That sounds very scary :ohmy: Hopefully the worst is over...

Web Goddess

More
7 years 2 months ago #530992 by Ruth
Didn't even listen for a second time to that lovely man on the radio this morning, out checking as far as we could see. The rain's stopped and the water's going down but it's still higher than most floods.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530993 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic Seriously scary!
Stay safe up there. Report in often

More
7 years 2 months ago #530994 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Seriously scary!
Don't know if you've heard Auckland news this morning, but a man ran into water on the Alfriston/Ardmore road and called 111 when the water reached his steering wheel. He was rescued but his car has floated away. That's not terribly far from here, and the water from that catchment has now inundated our paddocks below the house. How quickly it will clear will be determined by the tides on the Manukau. There's another tree down on same fence as the last two, so there is now a huge clean-up to do. Unfortunately they are macrocarpa, so, have to fence off from pregnant animals before we can start the tidying up process. Water also higher than it was a few days ago.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #530995 by Ruth
It's a bit bloody much, isn't it?!

More
7 years 2 months ago #530997 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Seriously scary!
Sigh! Your words "careful what you wish for" may haunt us all for a while! :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #530998 by viki
Replied by viki on topic Seriously scary!
Hope all is ok Ruth we woke up with all the lightening and torrential rain and were worried sick about the steers up the road as we haven't had anything like this since we brought that land, luckily all was well they will just be stranded I one paddock for a day or two. Our river paddock was a lake first thing but has quickly gone down I think the road to town has just been opened. The dogs are enjoying it and the cattle have had a good wash
Attachments:

More
7 years 2 months ago #530999 by hilldweller
Replied by hilldweller on topic Seriously scary!
Glad to hear you're safe and well. That does sound scary! I've never experienced anything like it and hope I never do. Down here it looks like we might get a couple of inches and that would be very welcome.

Reports of water running through sheds etc makes me wonder have waterways changed their course over the years? I know Ronnie also regularly reports on a flooded cowshed.

hilldweller

More
7 years 2 months ago #531000 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Seriously scary!
Oddly, we missed all that rain which is indicative of how localised it can be. As the crow flies I don't suppose Ruth would be much further than 10kms away.

We had our flood yesterday afternoon. All bar one mob of sheep were on the hills and the sheep on the flats were safer where they were rather than me trying to swim them through waist deep water with a huge current. Up to my knees in the cowshed but had got everything off the floor, just a huge mess this morning. A bigger flood than usual for sure and the water going through the cowshed yard was enough to knock me off my feet and have difficulty getting up - and even though I was safe, it's still scary.

Floods are scary! You are faced with often huge amounts of water that are dangerous and you're impotent in the face of nature. I stood in the Ewe paddock once and cried - don't ask me why I was crying as such but it had something to do with this huge force of nature, water and noise.

Kevin has just rung and apparently parts of town are a mess - Allen Bell Drive, Whangatane Drive, Top Energy's yard is under water, there are cars floating, one of our pig people has a house 4ft above the ground and the water just stopped short of going through the ranch slider. Silly bugger didn't think to take photos. He was stopped on SH1 this morning but allowed to go through Clough Rd as he has a 4 x 4. Suspect the council will have to have some answers for this lot because they fiddled with something that should have been left alone, also the pumps down the end of that road the Warehouse and Mitre 10 are on, would appear to have failed drastically.

Be careful:)

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
7 years 2 months ago #531001 by Ruth
772's pretty! For anyone who can remember, she was my little silver heifer a couple of seasons back but ended up being to scaredy for my herd. Viki copes with that sort of thing better, being much more patient, or something! The heifer is one of my hypotrichosis family, which I used to think was just a colour variation in that family. Might still be, with that nice ordinary hair.

Hd we built our milking shed where we knew it could flood but generally wouldn't and since it's right by the house, I kept an eye on things until I got worried the main stream might give way at the corner and all that water might come across in a huge wave and crash into the shed with the calves in its way.

It was a flood in two parts here, with the two catchments being at different distances from us. Very interesting, very destructive, would have been more interesting if we'd been able to see the whole thing, rather than just small torch-lit circles.

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds