Getting rid of mites

More
7 years 2 months ago #531109 by Tessa
Replied by Tessa on topic Getting rid of mites
I still don't know if these things are mites because this morning, I went for a walk through the paddocks and even collected some mushrooms. When I started to walk back to the house, I felt something on my leg and I looked down and you just wouldn't believe it. On both my legs just above my gumboots, were hundreds of tiny things whether they were mites or ticks, I really honestly don't know. Luckily, I managed to brush them off my legs and they didn't get any higher than my knees (as I had shorts on). When I got back to the house, I took my gumboots and socks off and sprayed them inside with fly spray and just left them outside. I was so disgusted. Could it be whatever these things are, are all through the paddocks? I rent one of the cottages on the property, so it's not as if I can do anything about the treatment of the paddocks, but do mites live in the grass or do ticks? It must be one or the other as I don't think it's lice. The other thing I noticed was that they don't seem to be staying on the chickens but even after dealing to their chook house, they are still reluctant to go back in for the night.

I just really don't know what to do now. I know I won't be going for a walk through the paddocks again for a while, that's for sure. But the main thing is to know what I am dealing with really and to make sure the chooks are going to be okay. Twice I've cleaned their chook house out and sprayed and dusted etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531110 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Getting rid of mites
Could be grass mites. A few days ago I was combing the cat and there were some very tiny fast moving mite like creatures so small I could barely see them, coming off her. I think they were grass mites.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #531115 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Getting rid of mites
Hi, they possibly would be clover mites if there is clover in the paddocks, or they could be just a grass mite. Usually don't cause to much grief to humans. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
7 years 1 month ago #531591 by kiwibrick
Replied by kiwibrick on topic Getting rid of mites
We have these, from what I have been able to find they are harvest mites, gave our cats and new puppy hell, and munched on us quite happily as well, we have quite long grass as we have no stock currently and they seem to like the long moist grass, I cut the grass short with the ride-on around our living areas and places we go frequently which has controlled them a bit, but 1 excursion into the longer grass ends up with dozens on the legs/feet, DEET seems to work quite well to keep them off (applied frequently) but otherwise I think the only way to eliminate (or control) them is to keep the grass grazed down.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds