Getting rid of mites

More
7 years 2 months ago #530929 by Tessa
Getting rid of mites was created by Tessa
Last weekend, after cleaning out the chook house, I then went inside to clean up and lo and behold, I noticed all these tiny things on my arms! I got my glasses to have a closer look and couldn't quite work out what they were. At first I thought they were ticks which really creeped me out. They are tiny (smaller than a pin head), light brown and flattish. That was why I thought they might be baby ticks. But I then spoke to RD1 (or Farm Source as they now are) and the guy there didn't think they were ticks but mites. I didn't know you couldn't get Pestene anymore as I had some but had run out.

Anyway, what can I use to clean out the chook house again to get rid of these pests? I would have thought a powder would be the best. Can anyone give me some good advice? Even a natural remedy would be good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530930 by kate
Replied by kate on topic Getting rid of mites
Hi Tessa

Sue covered this in our webinar last Sunday. Her advice on cleaning coops is:

Remove all litter and droppings, from floor, nests and ledges
Take out all removable furniture including perches and nests
Dust down walls and ceiling for cobwebs
Power hose, steam clean or scrub all surfaces, using a household or dairy detergent
Let dry
Wash the equipment-may need to soak first
Spray clean shed with disinfectant i.e.Virkon, Jeyes fluid,Vet san
Let dry
Spray everything with insecticide, paying attention to cracks
E.g Miss Muffets Revenge, Ripcord Plus, Diesel and citronella mix
Let dry
Repeat process on all moveable equipment perches nests feeders and replace
Replace the litter with at least 15cm of pine shavings or pine needles if available and shavings for the nests. Put DE, (diatomaceous earth) and/or herbs like rosemary and lavender in nests can help repel mites.
Close up the nests to prevent sleeping if birds not laying

Web Goddess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reikorangi

More
7 years 2 months ago #530932 by Tessa
Replied by Tessa on topic Getting rid of mites
Thanks for that advice. Does anyone have any idea what the things are though?

More
7 years 2 months ago #530934 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Getting rid of mites
Tick shaped, are likely to be mites, and like a sesame seed then they will be lice.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #530935 by WillNZ
Replied by WillNZ on topic Getting rid of mites
Miss Muffet's Revenge dealt to our mites. Sprayed about 6 weeks ago and still no sign of any more nasty critters..:evil:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tessa

More
7 years 2 months ago #530937 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Getting rid of mites
Yes they will very likely be red mite Dermanyssus gallinae. They seem to be the scourge of everyone with chickens this year, even the big commercial operations.

You must ensure whatever you use to spray the coop with gets into all the crevices, under the perches, behind the nests, wherever there is a tint space. I have even seen huge infestations inside those automatic opening Grandpa feeders.

They like wood, but are equally happy in metal, folds and overlaps of metal are just fine.

There are plenty of things on the market but most people seem to have success with diesel, a 50/50 mix of diesel and cirtronella or things like Miss Muffets revenge.(made by Wet and Forget) and No more Spiders. Some have used flyspray, but not as lasting and not all sprays deal to crawling insects like spiders and mites.
Ripcord plus-the more concentrated one works but there seems to be some resistance developing to that.

You will need to spray again in a couple of weeks to catch the next lot of eggs that hatch-and maybe even a third time. Treating the birds is not so effective as the mites live in the environment , not on the birds. Few more details here. www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/ectoparasites/mites-of-poultry

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tessa

More
7 years 2 months ago #530948 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Getting rid of mites
Some utterly useless information: Mites are spiders. Where I grew up in Ohio, they have tiny ones called chiggers that live in damp grass. When you sat on it burrowed into your bare skin! Didn't spend much time in shorts as a kid...

More
7 years 2 months ago #530973 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Getting rid of mites

Mudlerk wrote: Some utterly useless information: Mites are spiders. .

Sort of. I believe mites and spiders belong to the same class Arachnida, just like cats and dogs both belong to the class Mammalia. However, i wouldn't say cats are dogs or vise versa. So they are related but nor really the same.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530976 by Stikkibeek
Chiggers sound more like scabies, another mite that burrows into the skin.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531015 by Adamdahunta
Replied by Adamdahunta on topic Getting rid of mites
We have 50 chickens and have had horrific mite trouble in the last year..
People kept saying use dietamacous dirt which we did regularly bit to no avail. Also fly sprayed their bums on multiple occasions.
So I sprayed the entire chook house with insecticide (again) and applied a drop of ivomec to the base of each wing of each bird.. also still treat nesting boxes with dietamacous dirt regularly. .... but low and behold since applying Ivomec our trouble has all but disappeared. .

It took me a while to convince my chicken mad partner to let me treat with ivomec as she is quite anti chemical but it was for the best humanely for the birds I felt..

More
7 years 2 months ago #531023 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Getting rid of mites
Fair enough...

More
7 years 2 months ago #531057 by peckapecka
Replied by peckapecka on topic Getting rid of mites
Where can you buy Ivomec - is it something that has to be bought from a vet?

More
7 years 2 months ago #531060 by tonic
Yes, get Ivomec from the vet.

Spraying bottoms and treating with DE is unlikely to help with mites as they don't live on the bird. Lice do live on the birds and are often seen around the bottoms and DE is a very effective way to control them.

Ivomec will help with both internal and external parasites, but you also need to spray the house so the mites are killed where they live.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peckapecka

More
7 years 2 months ago #531064 by Stikkibeek
I hate to rain on peoples parades, but DE is totally useless as an insecticide. I'm quite certain that there is a big industry promoting the stuff and they have built up a foundation of lies with no research to back up the claims. it is a total waste of money and about the only use it might have is in mineral content if dampened and mixed with food.

More
7 years 2 months ago #531068 by tonic
Stikki, I have had success with DE for lice. There is a significant reduction in the lice present on the birds after a couple of days.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds