Leyland Cypress for a shelter belt

More
7 years 3 months ago #530583 by jojokiwi
I'm researching what species to plant for our shelter belts on a bare block that is a high wind area (North Canterbury)

Does anyone have any experiences with planting Leyland's as a shelter option....any pros/cons?

The wind is very strong (Easterly, Nor Wester and Southerly) so we need something pretty tough. The soils are heavy clay too :blink:

We are putting water drip lines in so thats all sorted - its just choosing the tree species that has my head spinning :unsure: :unsure: :ohmy: :dry:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #530593 by Stikkibeek
Southern Woods in Rolleston would probably be good ones to approach. They would have a better idea about what will grow well down there than I would. Southern Woods

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
7 years 3 months ago #530597 by 4trees
Just a note, many of those conifer varieties cause abortion in pregnant stock, so just be aware if you have pregnant animals.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
7 years 3 months ago #530598 by LongRidge
Leyland cypress most definitely do cause abortions in sheep, goats and cattle. That means that you will not have two paddocks available adjoining the shelterbelt, if you have animals that you want to get pregnant or that are pregnant. You also have to ensure that the pregnant animals cannot eat dead leaves, when you decide you have had enough abortions so try to get rid of the cypress.
I much prefer tagasaste, but pittosporums and akeake also work.

More
7 years 3 months ago #530600 by jojokiwi
Hmm... that would be a problem. Does that still apply if the shelter belt is fenced in?

More
7 years 3 months ago #530603 by LongRidge
Yes, because the trees grow and soon overhang the fence, and animals reach through or over the fence, and leaves blow off the branches, and you won't get a round tuit to prune the shelterbelt back hard and remove every leaf from where an animal can eat it.

More
7 years 3 months ago #530670 by tonybaker
those trees have a large spread at their base and throw out long horizontal branches. Having said that I have one shelterbelt of Leylandii and sheep, cattle don't seem to have any problem. They seem to nibble a bit then give up. I imagine if you get short of feed they would eat more.
Whatever you do, don't plant near power lines and look for waterpipes when you are planting (yes I did it!)
I would go for Tagasaste (tree lucerne) as it is cheap, animals will eat it and it responds to pruning. Plant at about 2m spacing. If you are doing a large shelterbelt, remember you have to water plants regularly and keep the weeds clear (Gardoprim is good for this).

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds