Cover size for pony

More
7 years 3 months ago #530564 by whinny
Cover size for pony was created by whinny
Hi there, quick question please. What size cover will my 11.2hh welsh fit?
She's quite fine boned but has a fairly big tum as been a broodmare before we got her.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #530567 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Cover size for pony
Find the natural hollow that lies between the whither and the main part of the neck and measure from there preferably with a soft tape measure that will follow the contours of the horse's back, as far as the top of the tail. Depending on what the cover will be made of, may mean a bit of wet weather shrinkage, so err on the side of a bit extra length. Covers may come in both imperial and metric measure depending on where made, so it's a goo idea to have both measurements. Without seeing your mini, I would calculate somewhere between a 3ft and 4ft cover. Covers sometimes come with add on extras, like tail flaps and neck covers. Do not include them in your measurement, just the standard measure from front of wither to top of tail. Measure round the neck from that hollow to where the cover will do up, which should be around about point of shoulder height or a little bit above. Too big a neck opening will make the cover rub the shoulders as will too small. If the place you buy from will let you take a cover home to try, that's good as you can make sure it fits properly. Nothing worse than a cover that falls sideways because it is too big, or a poor fit that may rub the horse in all sorts of places. When you do get one and have it on her, it is a good idea to thoroughly wet the cover and let it dry on her, that may set its shape for her body, then when dry, remove and paint metalex and rainex, mixed 50/50, along the back seam and as far as it will reach down each side. This water proofs and protects the cover for many years. Blanket lined ones are warmer than jute lined, if you want it for winter use.
Make sure you do not buy one with those sliding spring clips on the back straps. They are subject to breakage or jamming. The old fashioned clip is the best with the buckle on one end and the spring clip on the other. Fasten from the outside inwards, so they cannot catch on fence wires if the horse should be rubbing behind on a post. Always loop leg straps through each other and do up first. If horse takes fright, the cover will slip off rather than end up trailing around neck and under feet where damage can occur to either cover or animal..

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
7 years 3 months ago #530649 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Cover size for pony
I'll also add to make sure that you have the back strap clip openings turned INWARDS towards the horse so that they cannot catch on anything that the horse rubs against! Make sure the straps are comfortably adjusted so the horse can move easily but not so loose that a leg can get caught up in them.

I prefer the canvas covers with leather straps, these will break if there is an emergency, whereas the new synthetic ones will not break and are more likely to break your horse :-( my stallion can shred a synthetic cover in minutes but the strapping will still remain intact!

I personally use a padded rug vest under all covers with my horses [if using a cover]. They all have huge shoulders and chests and most covers tend to rub the chest or shoulders, the rug vests allow the cover to slip around on top as they walk or graze [or gallop madly about the paddocks with some of my horses!] so that there are no rubs.

Measure the horse's back length between the neck in front of the withers and the top of the tail, if in doubt go to the next larger size to avoid them having a cold wet bum in winter. NOTE: Australian made covers are measured from the front of the chest whereas NZ covers are measured along the top of the spine.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds