stopping a doe from drying off?

More
7 years 2 months ago #530059 by bb
Help! Is it possible to get a doe's milk supply back up after nearly drying off? Taylor, my nubian doe (which I sharemilk with 4 month old kid still on her), went pretty quickly from giving me a litre a day to barely 500mls. Had her FEC done and found indeed she had a high count. Drenched her. Kept milking her every morning, (been just over 2 weeks now)and while she is back to her old happy self, the milk supply has gone right down to 350mls.. I wondered whether she had weaned off her kid, so last night I didn't separate them, but this morning she had zero milk so the kid is still obviously taking what she can.
My question then is: can I somehow increase demand and therefore supply (if so, how?), or have I missed the boat? Should I just give up and start again next kidding?
Would love some suggestions...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530061 by Rokker
I would say you haven't quite missed the boat, but the gangplank is up and she's about to set sail! Seems she's nearing the end of lactation, maybe brought on earlier by the worm burden. You could get a milk sample checked for lactose and SCC, but personally I'd leave her to wean off the kid, monitor her for mastitis and treat if necessary, and look forward to next season's milk.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bb

More
7 years 2 months ago #530065 by LongRidge
You might be able to get her back into milk, but she will need lots of high quality goat milking pellets, and no stress like weaning a kid.
Very, very often goats need far more drench than sheep do, and we have found that a second drench about 4 days after the first is needed with our goats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bb

More
7 years 2 months ago #530086 by bb
Replied by bb on topic stopping a doe from drying off?
thanks! Yeah I think we are just going to let her dry off. I did weigh each goat and up the dose slightly and they are all (3) looking great so we'll just wait for next kidding. By the way, would love to know what you are feeding yours... I've tried a couple of different feeds, one was a bit pricey, the other I'm not convinced... what "high quality goat milking pellets" do you feed? TIA

More
7 years 2 months ago #530091 by LongRidge
I don't milk goats - tried once, her teats were too small to do it easily by hand, and she lost a huge amount of condition - but ask Farmlands to look up on their guff sheets what the best is that they make. Goats are very different to sheep, so do not feed goat pellets to sheep, but sheep pellets to goats for a short time is safe enough to do good.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530093 by Rokker

bb wrote: By the way, would love to know what you are feeding yours... I've tried a couple of different feeds, one was a bit pricey, the other I'm not convinced... what "high quality goat milking pellets" do you feed? TIA

I don't do goats either, at the moment. But Kate (admin) is pretty clued up on goats, so you could pm her for advice.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds