laying hens starting crowing

More
7 years 2 months ago #530046 by kaumea
Hi everyone
i know haven't been her for a while...but still reading post...

just got this "cry" for help from my daughter and would very much appreciate any help with this:

"I have a slightly frustrating situation occur with one of my hens, that I would love some advice for. My head hen, a 1 year old buff Orpington had just recently started crowing. It's strangled and pathetic but unmistakably a crow. And yes, she is definitely a hen. She been laying since last June and was last broody just 5 days ago. I'm in town and only own three hens (all Orpingtons, two buff, one white), so I can't have a crowing hen. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!"

Thanks
cheers
kaumea

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 2 months ago #530047 by Stikkibeek
No need to panic on this one. It's not unusual for some hens to crow when they are going between laying and brooding, or laying and moulting, or between non laying and laying. it's all to do with hormonal changes.
The crow will disappear again when hormones settle.
Some hens can get quite good at it and be reasonably convincing, but you should not have any bother with councils as your hen is not a rooster. If neighbours ask about it, just explain about the hormone changes.

There are rare cases when a hen may completely change her gender role (but not her gender) and become more persistent with crowing, especially when no rooster present and a dominant hen may take on the rooster role. Once the hormone imbalance goes, so too does the crowing.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 2 months ago #530048 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic laying hens starting crowing
Thank you Stikkibeek :) that will really help my daughter...she loves her hens so much :)

cheers
kaumea

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds