electric dog collars

More
7 years 4 months ago #529414 by moyle
electric dog collars was created by moyle
We have a couple of one-year-old dogs which are wanting to explore beyond our fenced property and down the road. The gorse barriers we erected were skilfully detoured. I've been reading about the electric dog collars that emit warnings when a dog approaches a buried wire perimeter, and this seems worth a try. However, the shape of the property and the part I want to block off is too far from the house, and so only a battery-operated transmitter and collar will work. So far, I haven't been able to find one in the country .Has anyone had experience in this or knows of such a battery-powered unit?

rmm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #529441 by wttmf
Replied by wttmf on topic electric dog collars
have look though here.
leerburg.com/qaelectric.htm

More
7 years 4 months ago #529442 by moyle
Replied by moyle on topic electric dog collars
Thanks for the link. All the discussions appear to be on hand-operated units whereas I'm after a battery-powered passive system (rather than the common mains-powered ones advertised widely). It may be that such a system just doesn't exist, but I'll keep looking.

rmm

More
7 years 4 months ago #529445 by 16 Paws
Replied by 16 Paws on topic electric dog collars
Hi. We use one, and it seems the only real limitation is how much wire you can afford to buy. How far from a power source is it that you need to protect?

More
7 years 4 months ago #529447 by Kalmara
Replied by Kalmara on topic electric dog collars
why not set up an area around/near the house & keep them confined nearby, when you can't be with them. The dogs really don't need the freedom of the whole block.
Then train the dogs what area/s are out of bounds outside of their area, easily done with an electric fence and training.
Sounds like the dogs are bored and looking for adventure ! and we know how this story can end.
Also two dogs the same age are always going to bond with each other instead of their owner/handler. Therefore they are making their own way in life without proper direction. So maybe confine one dog at a time and spend time training the other to respect boundaries.

More
7 years 4 months ago #529450 by moyle
Replied by moyle on topic electric dog collars
Sounds like sage advice -- thanks.

rmm

More
7 years 4 months ago #529452 by spark
Replied by spark on topic electric dog collars
Hi Moyle,

I do not like those "buried fence shock collars" -
1) They don't keep other animals (including other dogs!) out of your property / away from your dogs.
2) If your dog gets out some how (frightened or otherwise excited enough to ignore the shock and get out), it won't come back in because it will get shocked when approaching the "buried fence" from the outside.
3) If the unit connected to the "buried fence" wire, or the unit on the dog's collar breaks down (or battery goes flat), then the "buried fence" system silently fails to work, and you do not know that it is not working until you notice that your dog is missing...

I'd suggest that you fence a yard attached to your house that can physically contain the dogs loose outside when you are not directly supervising them eg deer fence with fawn netting (or if you want to spend more $ you can build the sorts of fences that people have between their back yards in town).
Do your dogs dig? - to reduce the risk of escape that way, I'd suggest installing an ordinary electric fence charger with a hot wire on the inside of the fence close to the ground, to deter dogs from digging by or under the fence. Of course you will use an electric fence charger with a voltage/current monitor so you can see at a glance if there is a problem with it. If you have young children about, or otherwise do not want an electric fence in your back yard, then an alternative way to deter digging under a fence is to pour a concrete nib under it ($$$).

Running the dogs loose outside of the fenced yard is something that you should do with your dogs - ie whilst you are directly supervising them (playing, exercising, training etc).

Cheers

More
7 years 4 months ago #529456 by 16 Paws
I think it very much depends on the dog and the property. Some properties can not be quickly fenced, and a solution can be needed faster. Some dogs apparently don't respond well to the collars. Ours do.
As far as not noticing if the system is working, we keep the unit itself in the main living room. If it malfunctions ( wires cut by weed eater etc) there is a very annoying beep that continues. It is recommended that the collars are not worn continuously, so we remove them at night when the dogs are inside. It's simple to get in the habit of checking the power level at that stage. Once the dogs are well aware of the system, they don't want to go near it. So even if it is not working, it takes several days before they start to push it. This has been the case even with a terrier in full chase of rabbits etc. She will not go within several feet of it. So there is as much enduring protection as there would be behind most physical walls that are prone to damage. Granted, a several meter high stone wall, buried into the ground and electrified razor wire topping it - Trump-style - might work better. I don't want to live behind one though.

More
7 years 4 months ago #529457 by charlotte1
Replied by charlotte1 on topic electric dog collars
Just out of curiousity how do you get the dog out of the property if the wire is right round the property? I know you take the collar off, I know my b/collie would not want to cross it.

More
7 years 4 months ago #529458 by 16 Paws
They very quickly learnt the procedure of collar switch and lead on made the wire safe to cross. To begin with ( or after the odd occasion the electric collar wasn't removed) it takes a little gentle coaxing. But they take their queues from their owner. If you are telling them it's ok to go, and they trust you, they quickly learn. I do always cross the wire with them at the same place. They would be reluctant elsewhere.

More
7 years 4 months ago - 7 years 4 months ago #529468 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic electric dog collars
Some time ago, Mark Vette on Pound pups to dog stars, showed an oil of citronella collar being used to stop a dog from chasing chooks. No reason this system shouldn't work in conjunction with training, to stop a dog from going out of its "allowed' area.

They might show it again on the current re-run.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Stikkibeek. Reason: adabit

More
7 years 4 months ago #529823 by Mgelder
Replied by Mgelder on topic electric dog collars
We use a Petsafe Yardmax pg111, a link to it is here, store.petsafe.net/yardmax-fence-kit . It fits your description, and ours works well. We have around 2-3 acres wired off. We bought ours from the US, which meant using a step down transformer. And getting it here. Then, we saw Petsafe products here, but I didn't look for ours specifically. We had a sparkie install it, including digging in the wire. He used a "chain digger". The trench is still visible in the lawn, but makes it easier to find the wire, should we ever need to locate a break or avoid digging it up. Petsafe in the US had great after sales customer service. Hope it helps.

More
7 years 4 months ago #529824 by Mgelder
Replied by Mgelder on topic electric dog collars
Pick them up and carry them over.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds