Slasher - topper - flail - drum - ufo - sickel bar,- park - finishing mower etc

More
7 years 4 months ago #528894 by wttmf
Hi , seasons greetings
Can people give their opinions on the different types of mowers and what they are best used for, pros cons etc. And others I may not have mentioned. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 4 months ago #528896 by LongRidge
Why? In 25 years of farming, the only year that i might need one is this year. But to avoid having clippings on the ground, which is where Facial Eczema lives and grows, I would need to have a way to rake up the slash. Much better to have two kinds of animals.

More
7 years 4 months ago #528908 by Stikkibeek
Toppers and flail type mowers are just like rugged lawn mowers. They do a good enough job for tidying up rough pasture and leave the cut grass in an imprecise line. You can vary the height to some degree. Ufos and to a lesser extent now, sickle bars, are more for mowing hay. A ufo cuts close to the ground and lays the swath in a set pattern which is to allow the top of the grass to dry well as part of hay preparation. Your park type finishing mowers are usually reel mowers and make a great lawn if the area being mowed is level and smooth, but are useless on things like paspalum stalks and other coarse grasses. With a catcher, you can bag and turn this grass into good silage as reel mowers cut rather than tear or bruise like slashing mowers do.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 4 months ago #528962 by tonybaker
depends what you are mowing? if it's "lawn" then a ride on with catcher is best.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds