Bumble Bees

More
7 years 3 months ago #528855 by Stikkibeek
Bumble Bees was created by Stikkibeek
Where are all the bumble bees this year. For the past 4 years we have had a healthy population of bumble bees around the garden, but this year, nothing. So long since I have seen one that I can't remember when that was. My scarlet runner beans have been in flower now since the beginning of December, and there are absolutely no beans setting. Without bumble bees to trip the flowers open, it appears I am doomed to having no scarlet runners to enjoy this year.:(

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528860 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Bumble Bees
It appears they have all migrated down here, Stikki. We have more than our fair share of them at the moment. Not complaining, though! They are most welcome here!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 3 months ago #528879 by kate28
Replied by kate28 on topic Bumble Bees
We have lots here in the Manawatu. I bought my partner some 'Leaf Cutter' bee cocoons for xmas. They came from on online shop called creative woodcraft & you buy a package with a little wooden house. They are non aggressive, docile, rarely sting & dont produce an anaphalactic shock. They can pollinate up to 100% more effectively than a honey or bumble bee. They do not produce honey, just pollinate. We have just started to have them hatch out and they look rather different, tiny little things - almost like a tiny wasp

More
7 years 3 months ago #528880 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Bumble Bees
Seen plenty around here

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 3 months ago #528900 by Anakei
Replied by Anakei on topic Bumble Bees
This is our second summer here (Rotorua) Last year I was amazed at the number of bumble bees here, and this was with a rather scrappy new garden.
This year I have borage, lavender, lemon balm, flowering kale and rocket (oops) and - NO bumble bees :huh: My runner beans are flowering madly but not setting any beans , I believe because of lack of bumbles :(

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 3 months ago #528907 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bumble Bees
Kate28, I have read some interesting articles recently about leaf cutters, and they certainly are an important bee for pollination, however, i think they woulf not be strong enough to trip open the scarlet runner flower. Needs bumble bees to do that and I still have no bean set.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 3 months ago #528949 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Bumble Bees
Less BB's here this year but enough to pollinate broad beans. More honey bees around but noticeably less giant willow aphid. Maybe too wet for aphid this year?

Everything Must be Somewhere

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds