How much rain did you get this year?

More
7 years 3 months ago #528833 by hilldweller
On the basis that the sky is currently blue and it's unlikely to rain before midnight I've just totted up the rainfall records for the year: 1241mm, not enough of it in autumn but good otherwise and we've had a great start to summer.

How much did you get? Any extremes around the country?

hilldweller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528835 by LongRidge
We are due to get some tonight, and with this year not ending until 9 am tomorrow with regards to rain records, I am expecting a bit more. We are about 50% higher than average and much more even than usual, so it's been a very easy year compared to usual :-) ..... except for the FE that we got badly, which is very unusual :-(,

More
7 years 3 months ago - 7 years 3 months ago #528836 by kate
We don't keep records but a neighbour does. Up to the 15th we've had 2019.5mm
2015 - 1269.5mm
2014 - 2072.5mm
2013 - 1470.5mm
2012 - 2369mm

We're in a traditionally high rainfall area :dry: and right now we need rain, the ground is drying out.

Web Goddess
Last edit: 7 years 3 months ago by kate.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528837 by Hawkspur
We don't have data for this year, but we are in the rainshadow of Banks Peninsula, and being lower in altitude than HD, in an average year we would get half what HD has had. I think this year has been very dry overall, with a relatively wet spring. Our stream only ran at winter levels for a few days rather than all winter. So I'd guess around the 500mm mark at the most, but because it was wet in spring, there is still some moisture and things are not quite completely browned off on the hills, which is unusual.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528838 by WillNZ
This year we have had 2920mm so far with several large flooding events where our road was flooded up to the underside of the rural mailboxes... not had wet like this here in previous years. Kunekune pigs have developed webbed feet..

We upload to Wunderground but dont see a yearly total there, the year is stored on my computer... Weather

More
7 years 3 months ago #528847 by kai
don't know exactly, but far too much! For the first time we have seen ponding at the front of the house and have had the council dig us a drainage ditch to help the water to have somewhere to go, it has been even worse for the neighbours. Normally we would get maybe 3cm, this year about 15cm and nextdoor about 25cm

More
7 years 3 months ago #528852 by Sue
1314mm here, which is quite a lot for us, our average over the last 16 years has been 1206 mm
Driest month was March at 39mm, yes a bad autumn for facial eczema, and wettest month was June with 231 mm.

Hard to believe how wet it is up your end Kate!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528862 by seatil
1406.0mm. Not sure if that's wet or dry for here as we've only been here 3 years and only have records for the last 18 months. chez.geek.nz/weather/NOAA/NOAA-2016.txt

More
7 years 3 months ago #528864 by kate

Sue wrote: Hard to believe how wet it is up your end Kate!

It's not - the ground is cracking because it's so dry :P :P

Web Goddess

More
7 years 3 months ago #528866 by GBpeter
1998 mm (Pakaraka south of Keri). Currently fairly parched so need some now.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528869 by LongRidge
Only 1mm here last night rather than the much more predicted. 2016 was the 3rd wettest in 24 years of recording here, and it would have been the second wettest if we had not had 420 mm in December a few years ago.
So 1672 mm to give an average over 24 years of 1116 mm. The average for 23 years was 1091 mm before this year.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528901 by Bunter
Our total in South Wairarapa was 1281mm, our average is 1100mm. We had a wetter than usual spring, by about 150mm which made up for last summer and an average winter.

Karen
26 Acres South Wairarapa.
1 Dog. 12 yearlings, and 11 weaners ...... hand reared beef x's !

More
7 years 3 months ago #528903 by Sue
Sounds funny hearing about all the areas which have had almost twice the rainfall we have, and are still coping with dry, cracked soil. Our ground is still damp and soggy, with standing water in places we only see wet in winter. The thought of making hay is still only that, a thought. Though the grass is going to seed the ground is so wet the tractors would get bogged!
We've already had 13mm in the first 24 hours of 2017!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
7 years 3 months ago #528923 by hilldweller
Yes huge variation around the country and obviously annoyingly inconsistent throughout the year.

Don't think I could cope with Hawkspur's 500mm, even though it's just down the road, or WillNZ's 3 metres!

Bit of drizzle here this morning will freshen things up but probably not more than that. Hope you're getting it too Hawkspur.

hilldweller

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds