How much is a fair price?

More
7 years 5 months ago #527793 by valentino
Hi everyone, I am fairly new to the world of horses and I am looking at buying a 17year old Arabian broodmare/paddock mate only, (she cannot be ridden). The sellers are asking for $1000 ono but my knowledgeable horsey friend says she is only worth $500max. Could you please give me opinions as to what you think is a fair price to offer?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527795 by terralee
Replied by terralee on topic How much is a fair price?
Depends on what you are wanting her for ..$1000 is pretty steep for an aged mare that can not be ridden ...if you are wanting to breed from her she is getting up there in years for that too and if you want her just as a paddock mate ...well people are looking for good homes (free) for their oldies to retire to as paddock mate once their riding days are behind them.
If you are wanting to breed from her maybe between $250 -$500 tops ...the older they get the more difficult pregnancy and getting in foal can be ...16 is considered the age when the uterus starts shrinking and trouble starts happening to broodies.
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by terralee.
The following user(s) said Thank You: valentino

More
7 years 5 months ago #527798 by G n T
Replied by G n T on topic How much is a fair price?
I agree with Terralee.
If you are going to breed her it might be easier/less complications with a younger mare.
And just to be breedist (if that's a word), I would think very hard about buying an arab as a paddock mate.. the ones I have known have paced the fences and been generally poorly behaved paddock beasties. They are intelligent and get bored sitting around.
For a paddock mate Id get a standardbred (often free) or a goat :-)
Free is the going rate for a paddock mate.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527811 by muri
Replied by muri on topic How much is a fair price?
Has she been bred before,?
If you are going to breed from her, what breed of horse would you put her too as that would be the consideration before looking at buying an arab.
What kind of temperament does she have and does she have perfect conformation as there is not much point breeding from a horse with poor confirmation
If you are new to horses, maybe you should start with an easier breed, as suggested standard bred or there are a lot of kaimanawa looking for homes and cheaper than 1000 - good sturdy ponies.
Do we need any more ponies being bred? There is a real over supply of horses so you need to know why you are breeding and what will become of the proginy
What bloodline is the mare, do you know?

More
7 years 5 months ago #527820 by valentino
Replied by valentino on topic How much is a fair price?
Don't worry so much. I do not want to bred her, I just need a paddock mate for the arab gelding that I already have.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527827 by muri
OK, I didnt understand your intent but I still think that is overpriced and there are many people willing to give away paddock mates. Older horses become more needy and can run up quite good vet bills.
I would say the important thing would be another horse that has the same grazing needs as yours so they can graze together, and one that is not herd bound ie you can take your horse out for a ride and the one left behind does not go crazy and churn your paddocks up. Sometimes mares - but not always - can be more clingy than geldings so you need to know she can be left on her own if you take your horse out

More
7 years 5 months ago #527830 by valentino
oh, ok. that is worth thinking about. Thank you. Apparently she won best bred mare in her day, so that is reflected in the asking price. Unfortunately as I don't want to bred her so this does not help me. I will just keep looking I think, if the sellers won't take less money.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527832 by Stikkibeek
I'd venture to say a 17 yo horse is not even worth $500. You don't say what area you are in, but there are pretty active horse rescue people around NZ and someone in your area may have the perfect horse for your paddock mate

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 5 months ago #527884 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic How much is a fair price?
As a paddock mate $200-$500 tops, because normally most people give away horses as paddock mates.

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527889 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic How much is a fair price?
If we were selling donkeys, as we once did, they would be sold at a high-ish price on the understanding that they could be returned at a later date if they were in a good condition. That encourages their good care, and discourages them being bought for dog meat. so if you have a contract with the seller to be refunded some or all of your payment if the animal is returned in reasonable condition, that $1000 might be reasonable, especially if it is able to be used.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527910 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic How much is a fair price?
If she can't be ridden I wouldn't try getting her in foal. You can buy a fancy birdbath for $1000, it won't eat anything, require a vet or die.

Why a birdbath? Just as ornamental as that horse

More
7 years 4 months ago #527922 by muri

Aquila wrote: If she can't be ridden I wouldn't try getting her in foal. You can buy a fancy birdbath for $1000, it won't eat anything, require a vet or die.

Why a birdbath? Just as ornamental as that horse

Thats a bit mean dont you think, they are after a companion for their horse.

I would do as suggested above, ask the RDA or Rescue places, even the SPCA

More
7 years 4 months ago #527943 by stephclark
agree with all above.. way too expensive.. Muris on the money with come mares being clingy.. when I was riding, I would have 3 horses, so I could take one away the other wouldn't fret.. I have two winning the 'paddock' stakes at the moment and they get leant out to the neighbours to keep their mare happy when their geldings are off at pony club etc.
I purchased my last paddock mate for $500.00.. 2yr old TB gelding, bomb proof and sound.. just thick and ugly :silly:

More
7 years 4 months ago #527951 by Jen - Featherston
way to spendy.

I'm selling a 12.3hh Welsh x Arab Broodmare, she has had at least 4 foals that I know of is a really amazing mum and a fab 'doer' for a paddock mate and I'm only asking $300 for her.

If they really want you to have her then they will take less for her, otherwise find another horse as a companion.

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

More
7 years 4 months ago #527959 by valentino
She sounds wonderful, but I am in Northland, so perhaps too far. How old is she? and can she be ridden at all? I see she is a paddock mate but its all good to know. Perhaps I could get her transported?

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds