Earthquake

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527527 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Earthquake
Felt sorry for these poor critters!

Photo: Associated Press

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Attachments:
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Rokker.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527528 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Earthquake
Except they are still on top of the earth, not under it like their presumed herd-mates.

[You need to accredit that photo!]

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527529 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Earthquake

Ruth wrote: [You need to accredit that photo!]

Done :)

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Rokker.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527530 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Earthquake
Jeepers, I never even went there, thanks.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527532 by arnie.m
Replied by arnie.m on topic Earthquake
Now flooding, the road from Nelson to Blenheim is closed. :( :( The good news finally made contact with my BIL around 4pm yesterday he is safe :cheer: just north of Kaikoura, Has an intact 5000l water tank but no power. House intact but contents thrown all over the place.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
7 years 5 months ago #527539 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Earthquake
Kapiti is cut off by a slip near Paikakariki and flooding from the Waikawa stream to the north.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527565 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic Earthquake
Been living the dream at last had my dreamed of moat around my dream castle. No more roaming dogs or people. Then reality all bridges and culverts gone, no access to back paddock, then more rain, 100mm in few hours,then hubby abandons mx5 and gets a lift home from a neighbour spotted in a 4wd in the queue of traffic. Fences to fix bridges to build. A very strange and somewhat surreal week.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527571 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Earthquake
It would appear that the farming community will have taken the brunt of the damage and not sure how we in the North are able to help

More
7 years 5 months ago #527592 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Earthquake
I rarely get annoyed about some officious B.. spouting off on Television, but tonight I was so angry, I had to go outside to cool off. It was to do with a nice clip in the news showing a group of individuals who were doing their best to save Kaikoura paua. On the rocks were literally hundreds of them, that had been stranded by the seabed being thrust up and these guys had walked into the area I gathered, scrambling over all the debris blocking the road. They were doing a great job returning the shellfish to the sea and along comes this gobby mouthed over officious fisheries inspector, quoting legislation that allowed them to take just 6 paua and at the same time implying prosecution if they had more than that 6 in their possession.

At the very least she could have helped, but I think she deserves to be sacked. How dare she pull a red card on people for volunteering to save a precious resource. Some people should never be allowed to wear uniforms if it brings out the jackboots!
There, rant over, but I feel angry all over again now!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: spark, Bibby

More
7 years 5 months ago #527593 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Earthquake
Myself and family are ok I cant believe we got away with no damage at all,nothing fallen out of cupboards,stonetunnelhouse has no cracks, the paintings on the walls are still straight, i even have a bucket still sitting up on top of a step ladder, yet we are only 30kms away from the epicenter. I put it down to being on alluvial shingle plains which absorbs a lot of the earthquakes energy. .

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 5 months ago #527595 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Earthquake
Glad you are OK.
Interestingly one effect of the alluvial shingle is a lengthening of the period of the quake, which is one reason the Mexico City quake was more devastating than expected. It led to a rethink of the earthquake strengthening of buildings. On alluvial soil, over five stories high buildings do better than shorter ones, if the quake has travelled any distance, because of this effect and the natural resonance frequencies of structures.
It is why those on the flat in Christchurch felt this quake as a vigorous swaying rather than a shudder, while on the hills nearby Chch it was still shuddery.

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527626 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Earthquake
We had the same type of thing happen stikkibeek, when we lost our home and everything in it in 2011. We were given access to a small historic house to stay in because we had had to sleep in chairs at a local St John Ambulance station. We were told by the caretakers where we could go and where we couldn't and trusted to respect it, which we did. Then some bureaucrat turns up from the council with a clip board and tells us we have to get out as it wasn't insured to have anyone in it. It had electricity, but no running water, so we did any dishes outside and used the toilets at the Ambulance station. So out we got. I remember feeling devastated that we were to loose a safe place again.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Deanna.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds