Broody hens - i feel quite bad

More
7 years 5 months ago #527363 by morfin27
Awesome thank you. I will get a couple then and get started

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527435 by morfin27
Ok so I now have three broodys. I got two xtra large dog crates and split one down the middle. Two are in their crates and just waiting in the other one to go back to the nest so I ca put her in the third one. Man oh man have I upset two chickens (probably soon three). Question though do I let them out for a small part of the day to dust bathe or they are in there for three days and that's it? They have water and I will put food in each day. A perch each and wind and rain protection/ shade and that's it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527439 by Anakei
Yup - cage, perch that's it!
In my experience, if you let them out they will go straight to the nest and bunker down again. In fact that's how I tell if they are still broody!

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 5 months ago #527445 by tonic
As above, leave them in the cage until they settle down, stop growling and fluffing up etc. They don't need to be doing anything other than cooling down at the moment, they wouldn't be spending time digging etc if they were on the nest so won't be missing it.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527466 by bb
Replied by bb on topic Broody hens - i feel quite bad
Yep, as others have said. How it was explained to me was "you have to get the wind under them", so I also have an upside down dog-crate permanently set up, raised a few inches off the ground, food and water, and that's it for 2-3 days. As soon as I catch one sitting, in she goes; 2 days is usually enough. (I have 3 light sussex and they are constantly taking turns in the crate :whistle: , I do get tempted to try the oven next time...).
Anyway, on feeling bad... since those 3 are consequently very poor layers (usually having a holiday), I did recently get some eggs for one of them to hatch. The life of a sitting hen is pretty mind--numbing :blink: , and now she's confined to the small run, busy raising 6 little rascals. I no longer feel bad when I put one in the crate: what's a couple of days of mild discomfort? Followed by going straight back to free-ranging with her friends; I just saved her months of no life - motherhood is overrated I tell them :lol:

More
7 years 5 months ago #527484 by morfin27
Ha. Funny you say that was just looking at one of the neighbors chickens with 11 little ones tagging along .....: Two days was all it took for two of them and they have been out for five hours with no sign of going to the nest. The third one though, she was broody the longest is still in there on the perch hunkered down. If she hadn't bitten my wrist when I put her in the cage I would feel bad still. Over that now though. Two (hopefully) sorted, one to go.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds