Selling Processed Meats from home kill animals ...

More
7 years 6 months ago #526678 by Hillsworth Homestead
I know that the selling / bartering etc of our animals as raw meat products or cooked as a meal can't be shared past the immediate family and workers onsite. (I have greatly summarised here to set the scene of the question) - but if the meat is processed in other ways such as ham, cured bacon, pancetta and the like; can that be sold / consumed by visitors who are staying as paid guests?

I ask as we are working towards a "weekend" retreat for the town folk to come and experience how the country cousins live and part of that was to help process an animal and consume the end results. Obviously if its a pancetta then they'll be eating an animal previously dealt to.

If any of you have seen Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's various programmes from the UK, will have an idea of what we're talking about.

Or is it as simple as anything that is going to be commercially used needs to go to a meat processor and come back "stamped"? I have had so many opinions on the subject but yet no-one (including the local officials) that can put in front of me a piece of legislation that covers it. I don't really mind what the answer is, as long as the is a definitive one so we can plan accordingly.

It seems that the "staying as paid guests" and they are also part of the process, has them thinking it's OK - but no-one's willing to put it in writing!

I'm sure I don't need to ask - but your thoughts please. :)

Thanks in advance.

Me (Bryan), a great wife (Julia), a fantastic daughter (Molly), 1 Dog (Vizsla / Collie Cross), 6 Hereford Calves, 5 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 5 Ewe's and a random number of Rams depending on the neighbour currently grazing the paddocks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #526679 by tonic
I'm fairly sure that any processing would be under the same heading as cooked home kill. Regardless of what you do to it, if it is home kill it can only be used by household etc and not paying guests. If you want to sell it or give it to others it would need to have gone through the proper channels.

More
7 years 6 months ago #526686 by Stikkibeek
I think that processing at home for anything deemed "commercial' use has to have a commercial grade preparation/kitchen area subject to the legal licences and management practices.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 6 months ago #526687 by Rokker
If you want to serve the meat from your animals to your paying guests, the animals must be processed by a registered abattoir. When the meat is returned to you, you'll be able to process it further into bacon, pancetta, etc but your kitchen or preparation area must be registered as a licenced food premises - usually this is administered by your local council.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 6 months ago #526689 by cowvet
www.foodsafety.govt.nz/elibrary/industry...uestions-answers.pdf

To do what you are wanting to do the animal must be killed at a regulated faculty where the animal is inspected both pre and post mortem. So you need to find what is called a "toll processor" where you retain ownership of the animal after the slaughter and inspection process.

Whether you need a registered kitchen to do your thing is beyond my factual knowledge

I love animals...they're delicious

More
7 years 6 months ago #526690 by Hillsworth Homestead
Thanks all.

Getting the animals killed and processed off site at the meat works was what I first thought would be the case. But when speaking with the local council the "what if" questions came up and they weren't all that sure. But we'll go with plan A which is off-site and the rest in the already certified commercial kitchen. That bit was easy.

So now to source some finishing animals to get the ball rolling.

Give us 6-9 months and I'll be inviting the local members over for a tasting session!

Me (Bryan), a great wife (Julia), a fantastic daughter (Molly), 1 Dog (Vizsla / Collie Cross), 6 Hereford Calves, 5 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 5 Ewe's and a random number of Rams depending on the neighbour currently grazing the paddocks.

More
7 years 5 months ago #526860 by tonybaker
I suspect that it would be cheaper and easier for you to just buy a side or whatever from the butcher to start with and see how it goes?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #526864 by LongRidge
The regulations might be different if your guests processed wild rabbits that had been shot, and you cooked it for them.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds