Free stock feed: Wellington - spent brewery grain available free of charge

More
7 years 6 months ago #526668 by Brewgene
We run a home brew on premises business in Wellington and generate about 1200kg - 1800kg (wet weight) of spent barley grain per week and this is on the increase leading into Christmas. Our current arrangement with a local hobby farmer has fallen through so we are taking expressions of interest in the greater Wellington region who might be interested in collecting the spent grain free of charge.

We have good access with a roller door into warehouse, and a forklift so the grain can either be collected in small bins (eg wheelie bins) or we can lift a large bin onto a trailer or ute with the forklift.

The volume of grain will likely decrease to about 60-70% of this volume over the first few months of next year, and then increase again as winter ends.

Any help much appreciated as the grain is piling up!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #526685 by Stikkibeek
What a shame I'm sooooh far away.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 6 months ago #526691 by Hillsworth Homestead
Have you tried Seeds and Cereals ( seedscereals.co.nz/ )?

They will, have if they have a use for it, the network to on distribute it and it would need processing if used as a feed and used fairly quickly.

Me (Bryan), a great wife (Julia), a fantastic daughter (Molly), 1 Dog (Vizsla / Collie Cross), 6 Hereford Calves, 5 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 5 Ewe's and a random number of Rams depending on the neighbour currently grazing the paddocks.

More
7 years 6 months ago #526725 by eelcat
Wonderful stuff!!!! We get ours from a brewery in Upper Hutt. Everything eats it though we haven't it fed it to the donkeys. Rabbits, cows, sheep, ducks, hens. We also have made bread with it when fresh and dog biscuits. Then you can compost it as well. Storage is an issue, especially in the summer - not sure that Seed and Feed would want to handle it though they may put up a notice for you

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
7 years 6 months ago #526731 by ZummersetGirl

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds