Cladding types and wood stoves

More
7 years 7 months ago #527086 by PiwakawakaValley
We have just built a house out of a 4 bay pole shed from goldpine - upspec'd to make it house quality. I know it is not everyones cup of tea but it is a zincalume shed, cheap and very quick to put up. we only have 3 posts exposed, two in the kitchen and one in the hall. it doesn't creak in the heat and only a tiny bit in the wind. we have lined it in Oakume ply from placemakers (nice and cheap, bonus!). We double insulated it with earthwool and put in seconhand double glazed windows from a knock down in Christchurch (we are south of Dunedin).
We put in a wagner Fairburn with the boiler wetback option and it is AMAZING. We run 4 old radiators off it - one in each of the bedrooms and it heats our hot water and our living/dining/kitchen (house is 183m2) AND I cooked in and on it all winter. SO SO happy with it. Easy to light, easy to clean. Really can't complain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Runamuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #527089 by spark

PiwakawakaValley wrote: We have just built a house out of a 4 bay pole shed from goldpine - upspec'd to make it house quality. [SNIP]

Are you prepared to say if it a "house" with code compliance certificate, or as far as the council knows, is it just a shed?
May I ask what it cost you to build it?

Thanks

More
7 years 7 months ago #527092 by willownat
hello, I would like to add a little here about wood stoves. I am a lifestyler since 1991. We built our house on our block and designed it around a wood stove. It a focal point of our house. It heats the house, it heats the hot water summer and winter. We have an extractor fan in the roof so can suck hot air out in summer, or can simply flick a switch like a light switch and heat water with power. As far as cooking with it, I have a 2 burner gas top, microwave, frypan and my woodie. We have a super stanley. We were going to put in a system to pipe air into the bedrooms through the roof space, but have not as the whole house is heated anyway. Feel free to ask questions happy to help. Moving firewood keeps you fit and healthy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Runamuck

More
7 years 7 months ago #527106 by Stikkibeek

neil postie wrote: . It also had a rubbish wood burner with it so we replaced it with a new metro mega LTD which heats the house very well, and it's a BIG house, took 5 minutes to change over $350 for the council inspection!

Who no doubt took just 5 mins to inspect it. :whistle: I want his job!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 7 months ago #527114 by neil postie
[/quote] Who no doubt took just 5 mins to inspect it. :whistle: I want his job![/quote]

to be fair it was about 10 minutes (we had to shift a smoke alarm which accounted for 5)

More
7 years 5 months ago #528643 by beaker
Brick is the only way to go no maintenance, no painting, nice wide 40mm plus cavity and a lot less expensive than most forms of cladding. When I built my house 13 years ago the brickie was charging 1.00 a brick to lay that had been the going rate for about 20 years might be a little more now but well worth it . He did the cladding for me while I concentrated on other stuff.
If you don't like the look of bricks you can use render bricks ,same procedure using a different type of brick which is then plastered over.

Can't beat brick I reckon, tired and proven for many many years. I believe, at least here in the wellington region there has only been one case of a leaky home involving brick and that was due to there basically being no cavity, done by dodgy contractors so not actually the cladding type to blame for that.
Board and batten is high maintenance and in my option looks crap after a few years of weathering but each to their own.
Bevel back WBds also a good choice if you like painting every 10 years but in most cases now also require a cavity, bevel back wbds have been fine for the last 50 years until the leaky home syndrome resulting in the 4d,s deflection, drainage, drying and durability being developed and cavities became a requirement for most cladding situations unless very low wind areas.
Cheers

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds