Building your own home?

More
7 years 6 months ago #526664 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Building your own home?

Stikkibeek wrote: You can do your own electrical wiring as long as a sparky hooks up the meter and checks/signs off the wiring. can cut cost considerably.

Absolutely true. I did all the electrical work myself on a house I owned in Beachhaven, North Shore, and a sparky friend of mine did the hookup to the meter box, moved the supply line entry point and tested the complete installation. Granted I do hold an Electrical Serviceman ticket, so I know what I'm doing, but that doesn't qualify me to certify fixed wiring any more than Joe Public. But the cost saving was huge.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527284 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Building your own home?
Bear in mind if building your own home that when it gets sold either by yourself or your estate then code of compliance may make sale impossible if you're not as good a builder as you think you are......

More
7 years 5 months ago #527308 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Building your own home?

Aquila wrote: Bear in mind if building your own home that when it gets sold either by yourself or your estate then code of compliance may make sale impossible if you're not as good a builder as you think you are......

I

If the work is substandard, you wont get a Code of Complicance, which is iissued by councils
If it doesnt pass a building inspection report for sale of the property, then , that is something else, but once it has a Code of Compliance, then that holds as Council doesnt come out and inspect a property again once its signed off

More
7 years 5 months ago #527309 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Building your own home?
Substandard buildings can get code compliance!
Building inspectors are not perfect and they can miss things, and shonkey builders sometimes manage to hide things they shouldn't from the inspector...

More
7 years 5 months ago #527310 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Building your own home?
It's very tempting to do a DIY build, but the time it takes and resulting stress is not really worth it, in my opinion. Sure, if you can work alongside tame tradies you may save a few bucks, but there won't be many tradies who are that short of work that they will accommodate you?
The best plan is to do the plastering and painting yourself, plus any labouring work that you can. If it's a fairly conventional single storey light timber frame type building, there are heaps of little jobs you can do and save a bit of cash. With mortgage rates so low, better to borrow a bit and work at what your day job is to pay off the debt.
Good luck anyway, I would be trying to get onside with the building inspector in your area to see what you can get away with.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #527312 by Rokker

tonybaker wrote: It's very tempting to do a DIY build, but the time it takes and resulting stress is not really worth it, in my opinion. . . . . . With mortgage rates so low, better to borrow a bit and work at what your day job is to pay off the debt.

That's a very good point, Tony. It's usually far more efficient to raise money by doing what you're good at, and spend it on those things you're not so good at.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 5 months ago - 7 years 5 months ago #527317 by Zobione
Replied by Zobione on topic Building your own home?
My partner is a registered licensed builder (hence he can do any and does all of our building needs)
It has all changed over recent years, where tthe build now needs to be signed off by a registered builder to stop all the incorrect building practices....If you can find a willing registered licensed builder to sign off on all stages of the build, this means they are putting their name and license on the line, they are then accountable for anything that goes wrong in the near or far future, so is a pretty big ask for someone to sign off work they didnt do themselves....My partner would refuse...
Building inspectors have allocated points of the build that they have to sign off (many) the inspectors generally know all the licensed builders, so ones they don't know they are going to really check everything with a fine toothed comb, take into account that each unplanned visit from them when things aren't up to scratch costs you money...Also take into account the amount of building codes and compliance's that have altered over the last few years, an older builder may not be up to speed with them all, my partner is constantly talking about the changes that are made...
There is a lot of red tape to have to deal with, believe me....
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Zobione.

More
7 years 5 months ago #527318 by Zobione
Replied by Zobione on topic Building your own home?

Rokker wrote:

tonybaker wrote: It's very tempting to do a DIY build, but the time it takes and resulting stress is not really worth it, in my opinion. . . . . . With mortgage rates so low, better to borrow a bit and work at what your day job is to pay off the debt.

That's a very good point, Tony. It's usually far more efficient to raise money by doing what you're good at, and spend it on those things you're not so good at.

I also agree, we also have found this to be true....easier to make money they way we know how and pay others to do the stuff we don't as it works out far more time/cost effective...Although we use a bit of trade swap which works well for us :)

More
7 years 5 months ago #527326 by Rokker

Zobione wrote: My partner is a registered licensed builder (hence he can do any and does all of our building needs)
It has all changed over recent years, where tthe build now needs to be signed off by a registered builder to stop all the incorrect building practices.....

Not quite true. You can build, renovate or repair your own home using the Owner-Builder Exemption, but you still need to meet Building Code requirements, apply for any consents and let your council know. See this page .

More
7 years 5 months ago #527330 by muri
a registered builder is not a guarentee that the work is up to standard anyway
I am still trying to get Code of Compliance where I am living as everything that has been done by the professionals - the foundations for my deck, my septic tank which were done by people approved by Auckland City, did not comply despite their being registered
The only guarentee you really have is to have a very good builder - which I thought I had and had seen some fabulous work he had done nearby

More
7 years 5 months ago #527331 by muri

spark wrote: Substandard buildings can get code compliance!
Building inspectors are not perfect and they can miss things, and shonkey builders sometimes manage to hide things they shouldn't from the inspector...

Very true Spark, thats why many people get a building report done on a property pre-purchase
And even that is no guarentee either, as the Leaky Home Syndrome has shown

More
7 years 4 months ago #528642 by beaker
Replied by beaker on topic Building your own home?
Hi perhaps take your plans to a group housing company like GJ Gardner and get a quote from them to build your house you might be surprised.
If you do do the DIY thing plastering is the last thing you should attempt unless its your trade or you are a confident plasterer, if that's not done well the finish will be unbearable, no matter how good you are at painting you will not hide a poor plastering job. My neighbours did their own plastering and it looks terrible.
Good luck

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds