What's on your to do list?

More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #525828 by Hillsworth Homestead
Hi All,

Having just recently been made redundant (Foreign Company pulling out of NZ Market - to small they say - but that's for discussion another day); I'm making full use of the extra time to get all the jobs done (that are currently on the to do list) before hopefully getting a new paying job and the list starts to grow again from lack of time.

What's on your to do list for this time of year - being new to this lifestyle I feel I'm missing several tricks to making the rest of the year(s) more manageable.

PS - Anyone in need of a seasoned IT professional in the Wairarapa area let me know! :)

Bryan.

Me (Bryan), a great wife (Julia), a fantastic daughter (Molly), 1 Dog (Vizsla / Collie Cross), 6 Hereford Calves, 5 Chickens, 2 Pigs, 5 Ewe's and a random number of Rams depending on the neighbour currently grazing the paddocks.
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by Hillsworth Homestead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #525835 by LongRidge
Fertilising is top priority right now. When I was younger and much fitter I did that out of bucket. So for fertiliser rather than lime, up to about 250 kg per hectare can be spread, over about 4 h per day. Lime however needs to be spread by truck or plane because that goes on a 2 to 3 Tonnes per h. Get a soil test done to work out how much of what is needed. Phone Ravensdown at 0800 100 123 to find out where the nearest store is that you can get the testing kit from, and some advice from the results.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hillsworth Homestead

More
7 years 6 months ago #525839 by Stikkibeek
HH I think Kate would be a trifle annoyed with me if I posted our to do list. It might very well take up the entire available space on the LSB! :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 6 months ago #525841 by kate
Replied by kate on topic What's on your to do list?
There are times when I think it would be quicker to write down the things I don't have to do :dry: :dry:
It's always useful to look ahead....in winter I plant trees for shade in summer (not necessarily the next summer!) and in spring I start to plan for the next winter's feed and firewood. So getting pastures ready to cut hay and/or balage and chopping wood so it's well seasoned by the time I need it.

Web Goddess

More
7 years 6 months ago #525843 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic What's on your to do list?
Ah the bliss of living in the moment ...

More
7 years 6 months ago #525845 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic What's on your to do list?
We have several lists. We use Trello to organise them so they don't get too overwhelming.
The lists for our lifestyle block are broken down into 4:
Ongoing tasks that always need doing and are never crossed off a list.
Things we are currently doing.
Things to do in the future, sorted from near to distant.
Things we have done, which is kept as a reminder of what we have achieved, to give some satisfaction, which is often needed when looking at these very long lists!

Spring usually has tasks preparing vegetable gardens, overflow tasks that didn't manage to get done in Autumn or Winter, such as planting, track maintenance, and building, firewood splitting and clearing tasks that are heavy work we like to do when it isn't very hot in summer.

More
7 years 6 months ago #525849 by LongRidge
If you need to burn a pile of something, do it soon before it becomes a fire risk if burnt in summer.
In Wairarapa the weeds have probably started growing by now. Spray them before they get big or bigger.

More
7 years 6 months ago #525891 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic What's on your to do list?

Stikkibeek wrote: HH I think Kate would be a trifle annoyed with me if I posted our to do list. It might very well take up the entire available space on the LSB! :whistle:

I'm with you on this one, Stikki !! Sometimes it seems that new tasks are added to the list twice as fast as completed ones are crossed off! :ohmy:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds