Brush cutters advice

More
7 years 7 months ago #524846 by rob
Brush cutters advice was created by rob
Hi all,

Need some advice on buying a brush cutter, max spend 500, mainly for blackberry.
Ta

Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524866 by beaker
Replied by beaker on topic Brush cutters advice
Hi not sure how much you are cutting but with our smallish amount of blackberry we used good old loppers at the base which worked well. Unfortunately you won't get much of a brush cutter for $500.00 unless you find one on trade me a good second hand still or husky but that again is unlikely
Good luck with the blackberry
Cheers

More
7 years 7 months ago #524868 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Brush cutters advice
Hi, we have had our one for 17 years, buy a straight shaft, the bent shaft ones wear out quicker (i.e. the internal piece is running down and around the corner with the bent shaft where the straight shaft does not wear to the same extent. Our brush cutter has had a massive amount of work and all we have had to replace is the the string, blades are easy to sharpen. Get a good brand if you can and you should have no problems, and explain what size material you are going to cut and the dealer/shopkeeper should sell you something that has got enough grunt to do it. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
7 years 7 months ago #524887 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Brush cutters advice
If it is in part of the paddock, spray it with Grazon or Tordon, fertilise the area with pasture fertiliser, wait a few weeks then put the cattle in to trample it down. If you have goats or donkeys, don't bother spraying as they will eat it, but do fertilise for pasture.
With my 45 cc Husqvana, it has a head for a thread line, but the head rotates so quickly that the thread gets thrown out :( . I only use a blade, for all jobs. Buying a decent scrub cutter is a huge expense if you are only going to use it on a few hectares of blackberry. If I were younger and fitter and did not have a scrubcutter, I would get a long handled slasher with a hook blade. Keep it sharp (and the blade of a scrubcutter) with a bastard file with a handle.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524896 by A Hard Rain
Replied by A Hard Rain on topic Brush cutters advice
I bought a large Shindaiwa from Mikes Chainsaws. Japanese made and good price. The T230XR is a bit more than $500 at $650 but it's one that will last along time.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524898 by rob
Replied by rob on topic Brush cutters advice
Bought an Echo straight shaft, had a great chat with the engineer through the back shop, he gave me great tips on different models. He rates Echo above Sthil, as he used to work for Sthil I took it on board, will be changing my fuel to premium first off for all my 2 stroke machines from now on

Rob

More
7 years 7 months ago #524959 by A Hard Rain
Replied by A Hard Rain on topic Brush cutters advice
Hi, what was the reasoning behind the premium petrol?

More
7 years 7 months ago #525047 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Brush cutters advice
The small engines work better on 95 rather than 91. I've forgotten the technical side of it, but it works.

We changed both the car and small engines ( chain saws, brush cutter, generator, etc) over to 95 a couple years ago. It is bit more expensive but fully worth it. The car goes even better on 98 when we can get it.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds