Hatching egg exchange?

More
7 years 7 months ago #524675 by Olivia
Hi all,

I have found various seed and fruit tree exchanges - through lsb, FB and my local community - which I am loving because it allows people to increase their own food supply with only the cost of postage.

Now I'm on the hunt for a poultry hatching egg exchange, does anyone know if such a group is in existence?

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524744 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Hatching egg exchange?
There is a poultry group on FB but its more for selling I think. I'd be keen to swap to, as I can't really afford the prices being asked. May be we need to start our own swap group...

More
7 years 7 months ago #524755 by Olivia
Replied by Olivia on topic Hatching egg exchange?
I would be keen to start up a poultry swap group, Edenview. I am rich in many resources, just not in money! :lol: I looked at the FB poultry group but the posts are all for purchase.

This is my first foray into breeding heavy purebred chickens (once I find some eggs!), we have mix breed bantams for egg laying at the moment, one of which is an excellent mum and she's just gone broody.

Proud Farmer of a little family, little lifestyle block and a little house in the township.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524764 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Hatching egg exchange?
Put me down. I have a Brinsea incubator would be interested in fertile eggs (and paying in chicks :-)

More
7 years 7 months ago #524818 by Olivia
How would we start this exchange group on lsb - right here in this thread? The seedbox and scion wood exchange are under the Propagation board which has less traffic, so the thread is visible for longer. I imagine a hatching egg exchange thread would go dormant for half the year and possibly be lost to many who were not aware of its existence.

I'm picking up some Light Sussex hatching eggs later this week from a local breeder. Hopefully once my broody has raised this clutch, there will still be time in the season for a second clutch (if said broody is agreeable!) and I will be on the hunt for hatching eggs of another heavy breed variety.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524819 by GBpeter
Olivia

Are you raising them for meat or egg production or sale or?

Where are you.?

More
7 years 7 months ago #524821 by Olivia
I'm dabbling, really. On the serious side, I'm hoping to raise cockerels for table while seeing how I like the hens as layers; compromising egg production for a family sized carcass is preferable to a bantam cockerel per person. On the lighter side, I'd like to have a bit of fun and enter something in next year's poultry show....although, I do tell myself that every year but always - ahem - chicken out :whistle:

I'm in South Canterbury :)

More
7 years 7 months ago #524872 by Olivia
I picked up my Light Sussex eggs today - aaaahhhh, so excited!! :woohoo:

More
7 years 7 months ago #524875 by GBpeter
I have Rhode Island Reds, nice birds but long term want to change to Australorps.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524919 by EmilyH
Replied by EmilyH on topic Hatching egg exchange?
Keen here too :) We currently have Barnevelders (too young yet), Orpingtons (blue, splash, black, buff, and then laced colourings with buff) as well as white orpingtons and lavender araucanas :) Hoping to get a few bantams soon too as they're adorable for the kids, maybe pekins... Okay I like all breeds ;) Also super interested in Dorkings, they look neat as well.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524921 by GBpeter
Hi Emily

I am in Kerikeri as far from Olivia as I could be, where are you?

More
7 years 7 months ago #524924 by Olivia
Your range of Orpington colours is beautiful, Emily!

My husband was trailing me around a poultry show last year and really came to life when he saw the Orpingtons - "I want those!" he said, and has continued to say. The appeal is in their size...he has a big dog, would love a big car...so why not a big chicken? :lol:

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #524925 by judes
Replied by judes on topic Hatching egg exchange?
Olivia, I'm in Sth Canterbury as well. I have shaver x eggs for hatching. If I hatch some do you want the cockerels? I only dispose of them at the earliest opportunity anyway. I would be keen to swap eggs of different breeds. I have silkies and bantams, Japanese, Silver sebright.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by judes.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524927 by Olivia
Forgot to say that Dorkings were my first choice when searching for hatching eggs but couldn't find anything local. That makes me extra keen to source them in the future, it would be nice to have something new to contribute to my area.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524928 by Olivia

judes wrote: Olivia, I'm in Sth Canterbury as well. I have shaver x eggs for hatching. If I hatch some do you want the cockerels? I only dispose of them at the earliest opportunity anyway.

Yes please! That would be fantastic! Are they sex-linked so you know cockerels from hatching or do you wait for them to be several weeks old? Just thinking of which pen setup I'd need.

Maybe there are seeds/plants you would like in exchange? I'm gathering quite a collection :)

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds