Glyphosate

More
7 years 8 months ago #524608 by Ruth
Glyphosate was created by Ruth
A recent EPA scientific review concluded that "glyphosate is unlikely to be genotoxic or carcinogenic to humans". Interesting, given the recent widely-held beliefs about the substance. For those of us living with and trying to control Kikuyu, this is reassuring news.

See www.epa.govt.nz/publications-resources/b...-in-New-Zealand.aspx for the details.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #524610 by cowvet
Replied by cowvet on topic Glyphosate
Given the ball that has started rolling in Europe i wonder if this will make a difference and reverse or at least question the whole knee jerk/ emotive and unscientific reasons that are seeing massive restrictions being put on glyphosate use. NZ will cop what Europe wants regardless of good science.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
7 years 8 months ago #524611 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Glyphosate
Well well well !!! Just goes to show how ignorance is bliss! I've been using glyphoshate weedkillers like Roundup for years, completely oblivious to any controversy around its safety! I'm still alive, and now a study shows I shouldn't be surprised about that. :lol: :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 8 months ago #524613 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Glyphosate
This came out in the farming magazines some months ago and it wasn't a surprise. The crusade against glyphosate was inspired by the anti-Monsanto brigade and despite the fact that Monsanto's license expired years ago, the concept continued to be flogged by the environmentally "aware".

However, I feel that Cowvet could very well be right and it blows me away that so-called educated people can be sucked in regardless of the science behind it.

I'm not so much interested in it for the control of kikuyu but very definitely for the control of Australian sedge and reeds and the only thing that kills them is glyphosate. All very well to ban something but nobody ever comes up with a practical or economic alternative.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
7 years 8 months ago #524626 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Glyphosate
All very correct, but the thing about science is that nothing is "true". All that we have to work on is what we have learnt so far. When we learn new "facts" we must consider the accuracy and significance of these new facts.

With regard to accuracy, it depends on what you measure. I see that Kim Jong Il played his first game of golf recently, and got 11 holes in one. That is nowhere as good as me - I get 18 holes in one each game, because I only count the last shot played on each hole.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #524627 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Glyphosate
Not sure what you refer to as having come out months ago Ronnie, as this was a new release just posted. The carcinogenic rumour has been circulating for some time but I hadn't previously noticed anything to the contrary in recent months. Our use is also primarily for sedge and rushes but where the Kikuyu entwines itself through fruit and rose roots, I like to be able to wipe it to knock it back.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Ruth.

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #524629 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Glyphosate
I would posit that the damage to glysophate has already been done by studies that have shown it to be carcinogenic in rats and mice.
No matter how much research comes out to the contrary there will always be people who consider it unsafe, irrespective of any new reesearxh.
There are countries that have already banned it and I doubt they would 'un -ban' it now
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by muri.

More
7 years 8 months ago #524630 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Glyphosate
From memory, one study considered it carcinogenic against the many that didn't and things like coffee and bacon were much worse offenders. I guess nearly everything can be carcinogenic in large quantities. I suggest the countries that banned it made a political rather than scientific decision.

Oh well, back to Green tea and muesli I guess

More
7 years 8 months ago #524634 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Glyphosate

GBpeter wrote: I guess nearly everything can be carcinogenic in large quantities.

Even life itself! Too much living always results in death! :evil:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 8 months ago #524639 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Glyphosate
I'm sure there no one on this forum who sprays glysophate on there food crops like whats happening with these glysophate friendly GMO crops which is far more likely to be carcinogenic. Im happy enough to use glysophate on my driveway etc , but thats it though.

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

More
7 years 8 months ago #524645 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Glyphosate

RichardW wrote: I'm sure there no one on this forum who sprays glysophate on there food crops like whats happening with these glysophate friendly GMO crops which is far more likely to be carcinogenic. Im happy enough to use glysophate on my driveway etc , but thats it though.

Glyphosate on foods would be more of a concern to me than any carcinogenic fear. I believe it works by stopping a metabolic pathway that exists in plants, but that pathway also exists in bacteria in our digestive systems. As the majority of our immune system is made up of bacteria in our gut I would be concerned about glyphoste on foods damaging my ability to remain healthy. I don't think we have much concern about glyphosate sprayed foods here though do we?

More
7 years 8 months ago #524646 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Glyphosate

I don't think we have much concern about glyphosate sprayed foods here though do we?

Tonic, we sure do! Take potatoes for instance, they spray the tops to dry them off to make harvesting easier. I once remonstrated with a local town milk supplier as he had sprayed a paddock and was letting his cows clean up the dead grass. Roundup increases the sugar content so animals go for it.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 8 months ago #524647 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic Glyphosate

tonybaker wrote:

I don't think we have much concern about glyphosate sprayed foods here though do we?

Tonic, we sure do! Take potatoes for instance, they spray the tops to dry them off to make harvesting easier. I once remonstrated with a local town milk supplier as he had sprayed a paddock and was letting his cows clean up the dead grass. Roundup increases the sugar content so animals go for it.

Hmm, that's right, I remember discussing that with a farmer many years ago. It didn't seem right to be spraying the grass to be fed to the cows, but that's how they did it.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524650 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Glyphosate
That's how the farm advisors tell them to do it. There's still feed value in it (if we ignore the feed unvalue of sprayed grass) and so it gets used. The markers they use to measure Glyphosate residue don't end up in milk, so nobody worries. But like most things, if you're not looking in the right place, measuring the right things, you won't see a problem.

More
7 years 7 months ago #524678 by wttmf
Replied by wttmf on topic Glyphosate
There are stories of sales reps that used to drink roundup to show how safe it was, I would love to know how these people are getting on now.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds