Geese Eggs

More
7 years 8 months ago #524529 by HollyM
Geese Eggs was created by HollyM
We inherited a flock of geese that came with our property, we haven't done anything with them, just let them free range through the paddocks. I noticed one nesting so went and checked and she has about 10 eggs. We have 18 geese, so if 9 of them had 10 eggs each...
Does anyone know much about geese? Will all these eggs hatch? Is it best to pick them up and dispose of them? I should really go for a walk and see if there are any other nests!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #524545 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Geese Eggs
Eat them! :cheer:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 8 months ago #524546 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Geese Eggs

HollyM wrote: We inherited a flock of geese that came with our property, we haven't done anything with them, just let them free range through the paddocks. I noticed one nesting so went and checked and she has about 10 eggs. We have 18 geese, so if 9 of them had 10 eggs each...
Does anyone know much about geese? Will all these eggs hatch? Is it best to pick them up and dispose of them? I should really go for a walk and see if there are any other nests!

Depends if there's a gander with them! :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 8 months ago #524564 by seatil
Replied by seatil on topic Geese Eggs
I can only speak of my experiences with our geese.

If we let a goose sit, she will generally hatch near all of her eggs. However, they're pretty hopeless parents and over a few weeks get around 50% attrition of the goslings. We've had them squashed in the nest, dead in the paddock, and some just disappeared. This year we're only hatching enough to provide some goose meat for the freezer - the more geese there are, the harder it becomes to find all of the nests and control the population.

This morning I had a poached goose egg for breakfast. It was yummy. :D

You could try candling the eggs you've got to see if there's any embryo development going on and decide whether to eat the egg, give it to the goose or to biff it.

More
7 years 7 months ago #525076 by smudge
Replied by smudge on topic Geese Eggs
Second that they are terrible parents. They often kick newly hatched chicks out the nest. I raised one from almost dead it could only move its beak a little. I warmed it up and a day later could open its eyes. She survived but became a very confused bird, thinking she was a human. It had a white security bucket and still sits by that bucket even though it now knows its a goose . Took a while for her to understand she wasn't a turkey as she lives in the same paddock with them. She is now nesting and lays an egg most days then kicks the egg out the nest :dry:

The goslings die easy and if you get 50% you are doing well. Drowning in troughs gets a lot of them, with ponds they can easily get out. Worst things about geese is the mess they make.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds