Trailers

More
7 years 9 months ago #524162 by GBpeter
Trailers was created by GBpeter
Looking for an 8x4 single axle tipper. The few used ones on trade me are going at silly prices. New Kea and Briford are nice but ouch.

A lot of very similar new (nz assembled) Chinese imports on the market, but not sure which ones to trust. Anyone bought one and prepared to recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #524166 by jamesgeorge
Replied by jamesgeorge on topic Trailers
We have a tui trailers 8x5 cage trailer single axle.

Its great. Has a sliding half door bult into the rear swing door so is great for animal transport.
I use it almost every weekend. Collecting weaner calfs, fire wood, rubbish to tip and helping people move

More
7 years 9 months ago #524167 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Trailers
No, but it sounds just like what we've been looking out for too.

More
7 years 9 months ago #524169 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Trailers
the ones at Bunnings and Mitre 10 look good. You can open a trade account at Bunnings and get 10% off most things. I don't worry about things made in China. It's only their low labour costs that make them competitive. After all, as long as you buy from a NZ company, you are covered by our merchandising laws.
The ones at Mitre 10 seemed to have a curious way of passing the lighting cable thru the chassis with holes drilled thru the top of the box section, allowing water in. Try to get one fitted with light truck tyres then you can carry more weight. A tipping axle is great but if you have a steel deck most things slide off easily. Remember you can get a free courtesy trailer at most stores now, so you could get a dunger just for the farm use?.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #524174 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Trailers
No advice to add re trailers, but this place in Levin seems to make good trailers, some of my family just bought one from here and seem pleased with it!
Go NZ made!
www.traylatrailers.co.nz/

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Sue.

More
7 years 9 months ago #524178 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Trailers

jamesgeorge wrote: We have a tui trailers 8x5 cage trailer single axle.

Its great. Has a sliding half door bult into the rear swing door so is great for animal transport.
I use it almost every weekend. Collecting weaner calfs, fire wood, rubbish to tip and helping people move

Thanks - looks like a possible - how long have you had it?

Peter

More
7 years 9 months ago #524179 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Trailers
we have two prescott trailers which we bought via fielddays and received a better deal than fielddays prices. Cannot fault them.

More
7 years 9 months ago #524180 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Trailers

tonybaker wrote: I don't worry about things made in China. It's only their low labour costs that make them competitive. After all, as long as you buy from a NZ company, you are covered by our merchandising laws..

The only thing I can add to that is just be careful about the quality of local assembly of Chinese kitsets. We had one a while ago where they didn't put lock washers on the axle shackles and the whole sub assembly let go in the middle of Auckland City - Not fun !!!

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #524181 by GBpeter
Replied by GBpeter on topic Trailers
Rokker who assembled/sold it?

More
7 years 9 months ago #524184 by Farmersden
Replied by Farmersden on topic Trailers
We have had a roadchief 8x4 cage trailer for the last 6 years (bought online from save barn). Had to upgrade the tyres and bearings but really pleased with the abuse it has taken ( moved spa pools, sheep, gravel). Only downside for stock is the opening back gate - a sliding one would be easier. Benefits it does tip, and both ends fold down for long loads :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #524185 by Rokker

GBpeter wrote: Rokker who assembled/sold it?

It was Vulcan Trailers in Henderson, (West Auckland). Crappy mudguards too - way too thin steel. I think if you're going to subject it to any long term punishment, your better to go for Tui, Prescott, or similar NZ built trailers.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #524188 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Trailers

they didn't put lock washers on the axle shackles and the whole sub assembly let go

please don't use "lock washers" on axle shackles! Nyloc nuts and ordinary washers are the way to go.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 9 months ago #524190 by jamesgeorge
Replied by jamesgeorge on topic Trailers
We have had it for just over a year.
Have had no issues. The guy we purchased it off said he sells heaps to farmers.

It tilts aswell.

I'm a machanic by trade so looked for a good quality trailer
The following user(s) said Thank You: GBpeter

More
7 years 9 months ago #524191 by Rokker

tonybaker wrote: please don't use "lock washers" on axle shackles! Nyloc nuts and ordinary washers are the way to go.

I don't use either on axle shackles, because I do not build or assemble trailers. The point is that those who do should make sure they do it properly!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds