Suggestions on location - horseriding, hunting, and no wind

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #523829 by judeadd
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions on possible areas to relocate to and buy a lifestyle block. My key criteria are:
- Climate: no wind - or as little wind as can be got in NZ; especially want to avoid the hot dry nor'west spring winds. So, Canterbury, Marlborough, Wairarapa and Hawke's Bay are not goers. I'm happy with some decent frost, and ok with a range of rainfalls but enough to grow a bit of feed
- Access to good horse riding areas. Ideally, there would be somewhere ok to ride on my back door, and somewhere great to ride within an hours drive. I like to hack/explore on horseback - beaches, high country, etc.
- Able to take my dog along (he's avian aversion certified, and I'm happy to go through the DoC permit processes for hunting dogs).

Access to cities or large towns not required.

For a long time I had been thinking of Golden Bay (love the range of landscapes and outdoor stuff happening there, and love the climate, but the DoC land is more and more devoted to tourism and not accessible for riding or hunting with a dog
It looks like parts of Central/North Otago have great areas where you can both ride and hunt, but I have no idea about the wind there. I know its hot in summer and cold in winter, and not much rain, but really its the wind that matters most to me. Anyone from there who can comment?
Also welcome comments from people re some small area tucked away that I hadn't thought of, doesn't have to be a whole region.
Thanks everyone
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by judeadd.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 8 months ago #523838 by Manchester
You conditions probably count the taranaki out

You may need to tread carefully with the dog on DOC land

While some areas allow open access for dogs, other only allow dogs with Kiwi aversion certificates for hunting only
Even if the dog has a kiwi aversion certificate, if its not hunting, its not permitted

Best to check with DOC first

More
7 years 8 months ago #523844 by judeadd
Yes, I'm a hunter, and looking for horseriding, hunting and no wind, as per my heading. I can see how you've interpreted that paragraph about taking my dog along - sorry, didn't word it quite right. I hunt with my dog. I'd love to be able to find places where I can ride and hunt too. May be dreaming. Cheers

More
7 years 8 months ago #523848 by judeadd
Just to clarify - the horse-riding and the hunting with dog don't have to be together (although that would be wonderful). There may be DoC land nearby for hunting and beaches to ride on. Or some other combination. I'm keeping it open at the moment, just to get ideas. Any suggestions welcome.
Its relatively easy for me to check out the public hunting areas. More difficult if I'm not local to know about horseriding places. And really hard to know about the wind if you haven't lived in an area. So, please, let me know of any experiences of relatively wind-free areas.
Thanks
:cheer:

More
7 years 8 months ago #523852 by Follyfootfarm
Manawatu is out then as well if you don't want wind lol.

More
7 years 8 months ago #523858 by Muz1
You might have to move to another country!

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
7 years 8 months ago #523902 by Edenview
Well I'm near Queenstown, there is a lot of riding about here. Were we are is very sheltered as we are behind a hill but the wind thing you would just have to check out your self, as its very localized. Sadly due to the huge amount of wealthy over seas buyers the land here is probably out of most peoples price range now, its gone up big time in the last 10 yrs or so. The norwester is the one to watch out for in Otago. Maybe Dunedin way? Palmerston etc, nice beaches. I always thought I'd like to shift that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: judeadd

More
7 years 8 months ago #523907 by Anakei
Rotorua area :)
Lots of forest and lake area with horse trails. Climate is temperate with frosts in the winter and dryish summers. Not too much wind unless there is a storm, Less than an hours drive to the beach. I don't hunt but lots of people around here do. Trout fishing in season and beach fishing 45 minutes away for the rest of the time. House prices still moderate. Good cafes and amenities when required.

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
7 years 8 months ago #523908 by judeadd
Thanks Edenview, I'm planning a trip to look around the Otago area in a few months. Yes, Queenstown area will be too expensive, but Otago is a big area, and I was wondering about areas north of Qtown, maybe Hawea, Ohau... Just no idea about windiness there. I know its windy down on the plains east of the main divide, but what it like up in the basin areas?

More
7 years 8 months ago #523950 by Follyfootfarm
Muz1 lol i was thinking the same thing. Is there anywhere in NZ without wind?!

More
7 years 8 months ago - 7 years 8 months ago #523953 by Hawkspur
The NIWA classification for NZ climate zones is shown on a map here:
www.teara.govt.nz/en/interactive/7752/regional-climates

It is a quick overview, but based on the descriptions for each zone, (which you can see by clicking on each), and your desire to avoid the föhn winds, I think you need to avoid the eastern areas, including the inland areas of Otago, which certainly get them.

It looks like the north of the South Island is the best bet for least wind of all types, followed by the central North Island, but other areas may have microclimates that are suitable too.

A postscript:
From NIWA website www.niwa.co.nz/education-and-training/sc...ces/climate/overview which has more detail:
The Blenheim area may also get föhn winds, so avoid there too.
Last edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Hawkspur.

More
7 years 8 months ago #523969 by judeadd
Thanks very much Hawkspur, that's really useful. I had looked at various climate sites, including NIWA's, but have only ever found info on temperatures, rainfall, etc. I hadn't come across these summaries that include the wind.

Maybe the relative lack of wind is why I've always enjoyed the top of the south - I thought it was the bush and sea and caves and rivers and nice people, but could be the weather too :-)

More
7 years 8 months ago #523997 by Edenview
Pretty sure Ohau gets blasted, the long open valleys get pretty rough, I lived next one over at Mt Cook, loved it but can get harsh weather

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds