Footrot

More
7 years 9 months ago #523168 by Stikkibeek
Footrot was created by Stikkibeek
The wet weather is having a bad impact on the health of my goat's feet this winter. I have tried Some blue copper based spray, some Dichlorophen based spray and some Tetravet blue. Still having problems. i know we need to have the goats somewhere dry, but there is no where.
Any suggestions about what to do next?

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523181 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Footrot
Hi Stikkibeek, how difficult would it be to get a load of metal so they can have an area to stand off on that is dry and firm. Do you have yards that have concrete floors that would help for them to stand off , or have it as a feed pad. Good luck. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
7 years 9 months ago #523183 by Minnie
Replied by Minnie on topic Footrot
If you dont want to lay a permanent loose metal or concrete pad, how about getting hold of some pallets and laying them like big tiles to make large enough area to create a temporary hard standing area that you could pen or fence them in. When not required any longer pallets are easy to lift and store or dispose of. Cheap and temporary option.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523184 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Footrot
:) How about this? . . .

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #523185 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Footrot
Durapen subcutaneously at 1 ml per 10 kg bodyweight. This big dose means that none or very few of the bugs will survive, whereas a spray with Tetravet does mean that some of the bugs will only be getting a small dose, thus perhaps encouraging resistance to develop . I am of the opinion that the hooves still need trimming before the antibiotic injection. If you don't, the hoof will be in an ideal condition for more bugs to get in and infect the hoof after the antibiotic has worn off ..... in my opinion.
Another thing you could try is making boots out of gauze, and holding them on with balage tape. It must be removed within a couple of days, though.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523187 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Footrot

Rokker wrote: :) How about this? . . .

Great. The horses were freaked out about my oldest nanny wearing a bright blue calf cover. Even her daughter was freaked out!. I imagine the horses would leave home if the pink boots became an addition! :S

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 9 months ago #523191 by Muz1
Replied by Muz1 on topic Footrot
Rokker, is that a UNICORN goat modelling in pink for breast cancer awareness?

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #523194 by seatil
Replied by seatil on topic Footrot
It doesn't have the class and style of pink wellies ;) , but maybe something like this?

Before we raided TradeMe for an ancient trampoline we used four tyres with two long lengths of wood laid across the top, and plywood screwed to those lengths of wood.
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by seatil.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523199 by Rokker
Replied by Rokker on topic Footrot

Muz1 wrote: Rokker, is that a UNICORN goat modelling in pink for breast cancer awareness?

Could be! :) Or else it's planning on entering Nelson's World of Wearable Arts! :lol:

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #523206 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Footrot
Wellington stole that.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds