So Chorus is asking for $5000 to put copper wire to my place

More
7 years 10 months ago #522858 by MurrayR
Muri.
You have been given the best opportunity you will ever get to divorce yourself from the "Must be connected at all times brigade"
Write the odd letter to friends and rellies and go to the pub regularly to catch up on local news. Be free!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522860 by LongRidge
Another way to think about it is that if you lose your electricity then probably everyone else has, and there are likely to be more desperate people than you, so your communication will be ignored anyway.
I have been told by Sky that they are upgrading their service to 10 MB per month minimum, and faster, for a cost of $100 per month.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522862 by muri
Murray, my children all live overseas, i need to be able to be in contact with them, its not a matter of being connected at all times, its a matter of security, doing banking, i run my business off the net, I NEED to be connected.
I will be living in the middle of no where with no communication, and no one can contact me either.
I dont exactly know people in the area either

More
7 years 10 months ago #522863 by Jontashya
If you need to be connected for your business then the $5000 should be tax deductible which will ease the pain.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522867 by Rokker

muri wrote: chorus have a full monopoly and the private suppliers cant do the connection, so chorus is the only way i can get the connection done

That's true - Chorus have to make the connection. But there's no reason you can't use other means to get that cable across the road if it's at all possible, then get Chorus to connect it up to the plinth.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #522922 by sixhens
I had similar quotes and no luck with any providers until I found Farmside and got satellite broadband. Since then I have been approached by the usual lot with enticements to swap but am happy with what I have. Installation fee $100. $109 per month with unlimited national calling and I think 80G data 6a.m.-midnight +plus 20g midnight to 6 a.m. Works for us.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522925 by JEF
www.implementsdirect.co.nz/collections/a...pe-laying-attachment
have you considered one of these and lay your own cable ? dont be stung like i did , i paid their BS price only to find there was an additional $1000 charge for the node allocation at the exchange , i have a new disrespect and contempt for corporations and executives in general after dealing with spark/chorus

More
7 years 9 months ago #522929 by Rokker

JEF wrote: . . . have you considered one of these and lay your own cable ?

JEF, I think if you read back through this thread you'll see that Muri already has cable laid to the road frontage. The problem is that the service lines are on the other side of the road.

Do NOT cross this paddock! ... Unless you can do it in 9 seconds, 'cos the bull can do it in 10!

More
7 years 9 months ago #522930 by JEF
really ?and i always thought they couldnt charge anything for that as per the govt legislation , im rural and i didnt pay for that bit

More
7 years 9 months ago #522957 by LongRidge
sixhens, we tried to get that deal, but there is a hill in the way of the antenna. We had to get a Vodafone technician out at a cost of $200 to tell us to cut down the hill that is in the way :(

More
7 years 9 months ago - 7 years 9 months ago #522981 by Rokker

LongRidge wrote: sixhens, we tried to get that deal, but there is a hill in the way of the antenna. We had to get a Vodafone technician out at a cost of $200 to tell us to cut down the hill that is in the way :(

LongRidge, I believe sixhens is mistaken in thinking they have Farmside's Satellite Broadband. The plan they describe is the Wireless Broadband Plus Plan which operates over the 4G network. Their Satellite Broadband starts at $139 a month with a 10 Gb data cap and $460 installation. While the terrestrial- based 3G and 4G networks are subject to problems with hills, there would be very few places in New Zealand that wouldn't be able to see the Optus Satellite overhead.

Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Rokker.

More
7 years 9 months ago #522984 by Name123

LongRidge wrote: sixhens, we tried to get that deal, but there is a hill in the way of the antenna. We had to get a Vodafone technician out at a cost of $200 to tell us to cut down the hill that is in the way :(

Who can live on that farmside satellite plan? Just reading the junk mail hurts my eyes. Having to live on it would eat away at me.

I'd have been looking for solutions like getting something put on the hill that receives the vodafone signal (battery or solar) and having some sort of custom directional connection between there and your house. It might cost a few grand, but.. quality of life. If you've got a bit of technical skill in the family, you could probably do the house to hill part your yourself. I was just reading someone's blog the other day, and he had a directional wifi antenna he carried in his luggage. In a hotel, he pointed it down at the telephone box wifi station on the street below, and then proceeded to connect one computer to the internet through it, and another to the internet through the first computer.

Thankfully I get ultimate broadband signal from somewhere north at $80 a month for 80 gig on peak, and 80 gig off peak. It's not enough to stream every live tennis match from the australian open, but a few of them at least.

More
7 years 9 months ago #523003 by LongRidge
Exactly Name 123 :( . I would be willing to put money on a bet that most small businesses in the Nelson, Marlborough, Tasman districts cannot get the cheap high speed service that 95% of the general public is able to get. The situation may even be the same throughout NZ, but most small businesses (ie, farmers) do not have the time to bother the government that as small businesses we are more important to the community than urban residential users :( .

More
7 years 9 months ago #523008 by Rokker

LongRidge wrote: I would be willing to put money on a bet that most small businesses in the Nelson, Marlborough, Tasman districts cannot get the cheap high speed service that 95% of the general public is able to get. The situation may even be the same throughout NZ, . . .

I'm not so sure that would be a safe bet, LongRidge. Maybe you should qualify that by saying "most rural small businesses". Far more SME businesses are urban based than rural based and so would have access to high-speed broadband. Only the rural ones dip out in many cases. At the end of the day it all comes down to economics and what is most profitable for the ISPs. It's obviously far more economical to provide high-speed broadband to a thousand urban subscribers down a city street than a thousand scattered over the Hauraki Plains. Who contributes more to the New Zealand economy is of little interest to the ISPs.

There are some interesting statistics on this site .

Particularly this: "Rural SMEs could be at risk of falling behind their urban peers according to the latest data from accounting software firm MYOB. Its latest Business Monitor report shows that rural SMEs have the "lowest levels of online connectivity" compared to metropolitan and regional centre SMEs. . . . The MYOB Business Monitor is a survey of more than 1000 small and medium businesses nation wide. Of the respondents, 215 were rural, 370 worked in major cities, and 435 worked in regional cities and towns."

More
7 years 7 months ago #525238 by FAI
A bit late to the convo here, but anyway, Im an IT Consultant and do a lot of work in rural areas getting people connected and so on and so forth.

Where are you located ? - I see it says Muriwai, but if you can PM me the address I can have my guy check line of sight using some 3d modelling software to their towers, If you can see the waitakere ranges or up to the kaipara then we can possibly get you connected using a point to point 5ghz wireless link.

Biggest problem with Chorus is the communication between them and the ISP's its practically non existent at times.

You must have got the wrong person or there are no available copper pairs going back to the local cabinet/exchange and they were quoting a price to run new copper from the cabinet/exchange. 99% of the time this kind of crazy pricing stuff is just due to the person you are speaking to having incorrect information.

Matt.

The following user(s) said Thank You: muri

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds