Acidic water in our tank

More
7 years 10 months ago #522508 by Countrynaturopath
HI all,
I've just pH tested our rainwater from our tank (as there has been green discolouration on our tiled shower floor). The pH was 5.2. Does anyone have an idea of how to safely alkalise our tanks? Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522511 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Acidic water in our tank
Hi, if you have copper water pipes that will often cause the water to show dicolouration especially if you have had a drip from the shower head or the taps.Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
7 years 10 months ago #522513 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Acidic water in our tank
I have heard of people suspending a plastic net bag full of limestone chips in acidic tank water as a neutralising method. You could try this and retest in a few weeks.

More
7 years 10 months ago #522515 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Acidic water in our tank
Hi Countrynaturopath,

Let me guess, you have a plastic water tank? (not a concrete one?)
Basically, when rain falls, it absorbs carbon dioxide from the air, which reacts with the water in the rain drops to form carbonic acid (this is completely normal)

Generally, with concrete water tanks, the carbonic acid reacts with the concrete on the inside of the tank, eroding it over time and increasing the pH of the water in the process, which leads to the home owner eventually having to drain the tank and re-coat its insides with plaster...

I don't see why putting some lime chips into a plastic water tank won't neutralise the carbonic acid:
carbonic acid + lime (aka calcium carbonate) -> calcium bicarbonate

You will of course be making your water "harder", so watch out for lime scaling in your kettle, etc

Cheers

More
7 years 10 months ago #522517 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Acidic water in our tank
I was told to heave a lump of concrete into a plastic tank to alkalise the water, after all, as indicated above, the water in a concrete tank is alkaline and not acidic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Countrynaturopath

More
7 years 10 months ago #522523 by Countrynaturopath
Thanks for this - it's really helpful and sounds like a relatively easy fix (thank goodness! I'm new to my lifestyle block and the learning curve is a steep one!)

More
7 years 10 months ago #522524 by Countrynaturopath
Thank you:)

More
7 years 10 months ago #522525 by Countrynaturopath
Great! I'm going to give this a go:)

More
7 years 10 months ago #522529 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Acidic water in our tank
Be very careful "heaving" a lump of concrete into a tank especially if plastic. The last thing you want to do is puncture the bottom.
I think Limestone rocks suspended in a bag that doesn't deteriorate too quickly is a better option. That way you can remove and replace if needed.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 10 months ago #522926 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Acidic water in our tank
i have pine trees near my rental house which has a plastic tank , it was eating thru the hot water cylinder elements , i dropped a cinder block in the tank about 5 years ago , all ok so far
The following user(s) said Thank You: Countrynaturopath

More
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #522932 by spark
Replied by spark on topic Acidic water in our tank
Hi JEF,

I am not sure that I'd want a cinder block in my drinking water - I understand that usually when they make these things, they replace some of the portland cement with coal ash: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_masonry_unit (hence they are called cinder blocks)

Coal ash of course contains heavy metals that have been concentrated by the removal of the rest of the coal (combustion of carbon). Whilst cinder blocks are brilliant for building walls, ring foundations, etc, they are not something that I'd want to have slowly dissolving in water that I was going to drink. Quoting from: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_effects_of_coal_ash "...the toxins from coal ash can “leach” into the water streams..."

Cheers
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by spark. Reason: Corrected broken link

More
7 years 10 months ago #522933 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Acidic water in our tank
as far as im aware they cant get branz approval if they contain toxic material in NZ

More
5 years 10 months ago #540338 by GregM
Replied by GregM on topic Acidic water in our tank
I bought a few years ago a Puretec Neutaliser which needs Calcium Carbonate topped up all the time, its not cheap, so am thinking of getting a few blocks and putting in my tanks. Easy fix from the sounds.

More
5 years 10 months ago #540339 by Mudlerk
Replied by Mudlerk on topic Acidic water in our tank
Calcium carbonate should be cheap: some of its common names are chalk, limestone, and marble. 4% of the Earth's crust is calcium carbonate!

More
5 years 10 months ago #540340 by GregM
Replied by GregM on topic Acidic water in our tank
Thanks, yea, it should be cheap. What I've been finding hasn't been. But after you said about limestone, I did a quick search and see the cheapest way to buy is the stuff for landscaping. Not sure if its suitable or not?

www.bunnings.co.nz/daltons-lime-chip-fine-5-10mm-15l_p00237606

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds