Mouses in Houses

More
7 years 11 months ago #521329 by muri
Mouses in Houses was created by muri
Outdoors I have seen a huge proliferation of mice this year, pretty sure the pied piper would enjoy it here.
My record is 4 mice in one trap in one day, empty it, more peanut butter, check in an hour, another mouse, and so it goes. Thats outside under the aviaries which are particularly attractive to rodents.
Indoors my trapping has been pretty up there compared with other years.
So far the record is three in one day in the kitchen cupboard, so now i have two traps going in the hope of reducing numbers.
Seem to have cycles of a lot of mice in the traps, two weeks without then they start again
Is this breeding rate, every two weeks?
Feels like it around here and they are all through the garden beds as well which i have never had before

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 11 months ago #521341 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Mouses in Houses
Have a young rooster that is particularly good at catching and eating mice, after he has minced them up pretty well. But you are right, Muri. Such a good summer has got to have an impact on pest species and we have had an enormous hatching of crickets too this year.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
7 years 11 months ago #521342 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Mouses in Houses
That reminds me of mouse traps.... Quite a good one is the bread toaster. So if this is one of your traps, remember to check it before you toast your bread :(
The following user(s) said Thank You: muri

More
7 years 11 months ago #521345 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Mouses in Houses
Pooh, I can smell the toast burning!!

More
7 years 11 months ago #521346 by spoook
Replied by spoook on topic Mouses in Houses
We caught a rat the other day, had been feasting on spilled seed from the aviaries on the deck. It was an amazing specimen :) , could not swim very well though. :sick:

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
7 years 11 months ago #521347 by Alan Gilbert
Replied by Alan Gilbert on topic Mouses in Houses
It's been a good year for mice in the Far North, too (from a mouse's point of view, at least).

I have finally got around to rodent-proofing the air gaps between the bricks cladding the house—something which the damn brick-layers should have done when it was built, but didn't bother to because some idiot politician had removed the requirement from the building regulations a few years earlier. (Probably the same idiot who allowed untreated pinus radiata in inappropriate situations.)

So my trapping rate has fallen off dramatically, and when I'm convinced that we've got the last one in the roof void, I'll glue the final piece of aluminium mesh over the last hole— the one that's guarded by two mouse-traps right now.

More
7 years 11 months ago #521355 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Mouses in Houses
Seeing the title... I just had a flash back to a F.R.I.E.N.D.S episode when one of the girls had a biker boyfriend in who liked boxers and stubby type shorts...

"This is a family establishment, please put the mouse back in the house"

I'd lace the place with bait stations and poison tabs.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
7 years 11 months ago #521361 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Mouses in Houses
well, it's almost impossible to stop mice getting in. Better to kill them off outside. Get serious about bait stations around the edge of the house and in any sheds. It's an ongoing battle!

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #521367 by muri

tonybaker wrote: well, it's almost impossible to stop mice getting in. Better to kill them off outside. Get serious about bait stations around the edge of the house and in any sheds. It's an ongoing battle!

Pretty sure the 'ongoing battle' bit is an understatement, I was getting around 20 a week at one stage, wish now I had chalked up the numbers

More
7 years 11 months ago #521413 by John M
Replied by John M on topic Mouses in Houses
Our second autumn, we caught over 50 mice inside in traps.

We have done a more thorough job of regular baiting in the shed and garage the last two years and that has significantly reduced the numbers coming inside. We had two kittens dumped on our road 3 weeks ago, so decided to keep them and raise them as outdoor pets to see if they will help control pests too.

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

More
7 years 11 months ago #521430 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Mouses in Houses
'mice' work John! The wild cats will make short work of the rodents - and birds unfortunately.

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
7 years 11 months ago #521456 by muri
Was just reading a FB post where someone said they got rid of rats and mice by spraying pure peppermint oil around and all the rats disappeared. Seems like an easy solution

More
7 years 11 months ago #521575 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Mouses in Houses

muri wrote: Was just reading a FB post where someone said they got rid of rats and mice by spraying pure peppermint oil around and all the rats disappeared. Seems like an easy solution

I was reading today that peppermint oil is toxic to cats and it will make them very ill, if not kill them, so if you have cats, be careful with the use of peppermint oil.

As for mice/rat poison baits... if you have Morepork owls living in your area, please avoid the baits containing Brodifacoum. It has a 21 day kill time which sadly kills off the owl population as well.
Our owl population was practically wiped out over 3 years ago. From near deafening, the Morepork's night calls went to silence and has slowly been increasing, though still down on what it used to be. This year I've heard and seen a baby owl for the first time which is really neat. The owls have our surroundings to themselves at night as my two cats have a curfew and spend the night indoors, asleep.

But with two cats busy catching mice outdoors, I still have mice in the caravan. I'm not sure if the mice found their own way in or if they were helped in by a keen mouser, but while the cats are snoring the mice are playing havoc. The kitchen storage lockers had to be rearranged to make things mouse proof. Food items (mainly dry goods or packaged) not in mouse proof tin, or glass storage jars, has had to go into large plastic storage containers. The clean up is ongoing.
So far: 4 traps and no mice caught. I've just brought in the 5th, (a live capture trap), into action tonight, baited with fresh olives, fresh pumpkin seeds and chook pellets. So hopefully there will be mice in the trap in the morning. They had chocolate last night...

There were mice in the hen house, so I put the new wind-up live capture trap in there, with the hen's food plate sitting on top of it, and caught 5 mice. This trap is also in the caravan.

More
7 years 11 months ago #521599 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic Mouses in Houses
just done that RD1 has a special on bait and the $26 bait stations are really good

More
7 years 11 months ago #521643 by RichardW
Replied by RichardW on topic Mouses in Houses
Three house cats that only get supplementary feeding help a lot in controlling mice and a very keen dog makes short work of rats, so, i can tell if there's a problem with mice&rats by watching my seed crops, had corn dry 99% on the plant this year which only had a small amount of sorrow attack

Running superfine Merino's for 15 years drench free and seed grower, sold through www.sentinelsgroup.co.nz/

Inventor of Watson multishears www.watsonmultishears.co.nz

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds