Advice please re pullet with crusty lesions

More
8 years 1 week ago #520705 by welshie
I have a pullet who has had a puffy wrinkled dry look around her eyes for weeks now. Her comb and wattles are pale and dry and when I examine her head and neck there are lots of yellowish crumbly lesions that cause the skin to wrinkle, pucker and gather into folds. There is also crustiness around the vent. Her bahaviour is normal (eating, drinking, free-ranging with the others etc). and she is not unhappy, but definitely looks not right. I have tried a pour-on drench (Ivomev) and also Pestene powder. I have thoroughly rubbed a mix of vaseline and dettol into her head and neck, wattles and comb...but none of this has made any difference. If anything it is getting worse. She is the only one like this amongst my 20+ chooks.

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #520710 by Sue
A photo would help, are the crusty lesions smelly, like a yeast smell?
www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/59/favus/

There are other possibilities but this is probably near the top of the list!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 1 week ago #520723 by welshie
Thank Sue. Hopefully these pics will help. And yes, it does smell very slightly yeasty.

welshie

Attachments:

More
8 years 1 week ago #520844 by welshie
Just bumping this up for Sue to see and advise :)

welshie

More
8 years 1 week ago #520885 by welshie
Ok....should I try applying an antifungal cream? Think I have some human mycostatin cream here somewhere. Difficult to get good coverage so probably need to try and dislodge the crumbly bits first. Or should I just cull her? She is active, eating etc normally though...
Anyone??

welshie

More
8 years 1 week ago #520905 by Sue
Sorry it took me so long to get back!
Good photos-I suspect it could be facial mange which is caused by mites burrowing under the skin. They are the similar species as those that cause scaly leg. The mites that cause scabies in humans belong to the same family.
Treatment is by smothering them, but a bit difficult on the face! Try the human fungal cream as well to be on the safe side!

Favus that I was thinking of first is more likely a kind of powdery deposit on the face and comb, this looks different and the swelling around the face looks different.

Here is a bit of reading for you.
edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm022
veterinarymedicine.dvm360.com/knemidocoptiasis-birds

Using the Eprinex cattle Pour On should help. 0.1ml per kg (one drop =0.1ml if you haven't got a tiny syringe) There are some scaly leg sprays out there, but not a good idea around their eyes.
If she is still appearing well and eating you shouldn't need to cull her but it might take some repeat treatments.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: welshie

More
8 years 5 days ago #520929 by welshie
Thank you Sue. I will persevere on with trying to get the problem sorted, taking a mite and fungal approach, so long as she continues to be active and happy.

welshie

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds