Best Tractor to buy???

More
8 years 1 month ago #519164 by caradee
We have purchased a flat (but bumpy) 2.7 acre section. Any suggestions on a tractor and slasher which would do the job of mowing the lawn??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 month ago #519190 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Best Tractor to buy???
Romney or Suffolk.

I'm not a fan of the Perendale houdini artists.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
8 years 1 month ago #519195 by Carnie
Replied by Carnie on topic Best Tractor to buy???
Massey ferguson 35. Best tractor ever made

More
8 years 1 month ago #519208 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Best Tractor to buy???
If you want lawn then you need to get rid of the pasture grass species. Lawn species grow much, much slower than pasture species. So while you are re-seeding get the lawn contours right, then buy a ride on mower. A tractor on 2 acres to mow the lawn is as useful as teats on a bull .... but it is a great boys toy to take him away from doing the things that you want him to do.
A few sheep will flatten the surface of a paddock, and will graze low enough that you won't need to mow.

More
8 years 1 month ago #519210 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Best Tractor to buy???
longridge is onto it! If you have to buy a tractor the Massey ferguson 35 is best, get a diesel. You could use it to establish your lawns then onsell it to buy a ride on?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 1 month ago #519238 by caradee
Replied by caradee on topic Best Tractor to buy???
Sooo if a tractor is an overkill, any suggestions on what I should be looking for in a ride on mower - HP etc??

More
8 years 1 month ago #519240 by Hawkspur
Replied by Hawkspur on topic Best Tractor to buy???
What are your long term plans? Are you likely to keep the whole area in grass? If you are planning to plant some trees or create other obstacles like garden beds, you may want to look at the more manoeuvrable mowers or you can plan to plant strategically. If you are just cutting the grass to reduce fire risk and plan to get some grass-munchers like sheep, then you could hire something once a month till then, or ask a neighbour how much to hire their mower or them and their mower..
If you want lawn, are you happy with a mulching mower, or do you want pristine lawns and don't mind emptying catchers?

More
8 years 1 month ago #519241 by Jontashya
Replied by Jontashya on topic Best Tractor to buy???
Get yourself a John Deere ride on mower. The biggest you can afford. Then get bigger than you can afford because in 6 months you'll wish you had.

More
8 years 1 month ago #519242 by caradee
Replied by caradee on topic Best Tractor to buy???
Long term plans would be leaving half the section as just grass and the other half will have a house, shed, small orchard, vege gardens, kids tramp, swings etc on it.

I guess I would want pristine lawns around our outdoor living areas and the rest can just be tidy.

More
8 years 1 month ago #519245 by ddonalds
Replied by ddonalds on topic Best Tractor to buy???
We brought a Kubota sub compact tractor with a topper and bucket. It also has a mower underneath for lawns. Very happy with it.

DD

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #519246 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Best Tractor to buy???
For now I would ask the neighbours to graze it for you to keep it under control.
When you fence off the house section you will need to kill off all the pasture grass and re-sow with a lawn suitable grass as they are different.
When you are putting in gardens etc make sure you leave enough room for the ride-on.
We are just in the process of upgrading from a Yard-man ride on to a John Deere, the yard man has done a fantastic job but I promised the hubby a new toy so there will be no stopping him buying the new one even though we don't really need it.
We paid about $1000.00 for the yard man second hand and have spent a couple of hundred on it since. Great investment as wasn't too worried about it getting a scratch or a ding as we pulled our section back from the jungle!
The JD on the other hand will be cherished!
In regards to a tractor we have a Fiat 500 and for a mower we have a lovely big Nobili Mulcher that will chomp through anything (not that I have put it to the test ;))

Confirmed horse addict.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by rider1803.

More
8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #519281 by AlanL
Replied by AlanL on topic Best Tractor to buy???

ddonalds wrote: We brought a Kubota sub compact tractor with a topper and bucket. It also has a mower underneath for lawns. Very happy with it.

I have what is probably an older version of this. While mine doesn't have a mower under it (it has a slasher and we use an old MTD ride on for the lawns), as a tractor on a small block, it is perfect. Ours is a B7100. Wish it had a FEL though :dry:
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by AlanL.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds