Can I kill chicken raiders

More
8 years 2 months ago #518553 by wandering free
I have a problem with the next door neighbours chooks destroying my vegetable garden, he says his chooks keep escaping I have warned them I will kill them if I can catch them, but would I be allowed to under law. :angry:

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
www.youtube.com/user/bandjsellars?feature=mhee

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518557 by Stikkibeek

wandering free wrote: I have a problem with the next door neighbours chooks destroying my vegetable garden, he says his chooks keep escaping I have warned them I will kill them if I can catch them, but would I be allowed to under law. :angry:

Does this situation and the thought of killing them not cause a direct conflict with your chosen pseudonym? :whistle:

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #518561 by wandering free
lol, but only if they do no damage, otherwise I will look out the killing cone and my sharp secateurs,

Just me and the cat now, on 2 acres of fruit and veg + hazel nuts, macadamia, chestnuts and walnuts,
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by wandering free.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518562 by kindajojo
If they are on your property, I see no reason why they could not wind up as KFC......
The following user(s) said Thank You: wandering free

More
8 years 2 months ago #518563 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
A neighbour up the road from us put out poison wheat for his neighbours chooks which kept coming into his garden, I think they took him to court!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518566 by Wollyton
Replied by Wollyton on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
I know you shouldn't have to, but is there any way to improve the fencing on your side to keep the chooks out. It seems a shame that they have to die because their owner is irresponsible. What area are you in? Maybe you could trap the hens and call animal control or SPCA

More
8 years 2 months ago #518574 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
Hi, are they getting through fences, or are they flying over, if they are flying you could suggest that he cut their wing feathers that would stop them flying.If they are gettting through fences, would some wind break on the fence stop them visiting. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 2 months ago - 8 years 2 months ago #518584 by Kilmoon
Replied by Kilmoon on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
Hmm, down here I believe any fowl (chicken, duck, goose etc) is classed as a feral pest as soon as it leaves the owners boundary. As such they can be destroyed by the owners of the property they have wandered into. I can remember checking with the DCC a good many years ago when a neighbour along the road thought it was perfectly fine for her chooks and ducks to wander where they wanted (not a good surprise when you're driving past to have chooks or ducks do a mad dash across the road in front of you :angry: - Darwin was at work and the worst offenders were run over before the rest learnt). As she also thought it was perfectly fine for her horses and sheep to wander as well, it was like talking to a brick wall. She finally got the idea to close gates when I informed her that I'd never had horse meat and was waiting for the next foray into our garden to try some. :whistle:

So check with your council as to what the bylaws say, and if its in your favour tell the neighbours. Otherwise, tell them you're laying slugbait everywhere and to not eat any eggs for awhile....a method my sister used in town when her neighbours chooks kept coming over and she couldn't use any other method. Her neighbours locked the chooks up so they wouldn't be poisoned 'accidentally'. :whistle: They got the message eventually my sister said, but she went through heaps of slug bait as her neighbour kept peering through the fence to see if it was okay to let their chooks out :angry: .
Last edit: 8 years 2 months ago by Kilmoon.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518591 by Alan Gilbert
We have the same problem. My neighbours have found it impossible to prevent their chooks from escaping from their enclosure, and have got fed up with having chooks anyway. They have told me to shoot any that wander onto our place.
The air rifle works well, but chooks do need two or three shots in the head to finish them off. And as they are so fond of digging up the veggie garden, it seems only fair to bury them there.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518598 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
Try this, it may be of some help:

www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1955/...atest/DLM294182.html

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
8 years 2 months ago #518616 by wandering free
Thank you all for your input, we have warned them twice that if we catch them we will kill them, they destroyed all my first planting of Brussel sprouts and have now stated on the ripe tomatoes. it's just that at 79 they are faster than I am, I have put a cage trap in the garden but think the blackbirds are eating the bread I used to bait it, we have good fences with a square mesh I think it's called pig netting ? but they are just able to get through it.

When we were talking to the owner he did say he had shot 2 of them but still lets them out knowing they are causing damage. it's not that they don't have plenty of room on their place as it's the same size as ours at 2 acres.

More
8 years 2 months ago #518624 by rotors
Replied by rotors on topic Can I kill chicken raiders
Ronney - thanks for that link.
Interesting that is says the fine is 10 pounds. LOL Wonder if that legislation is overdue for an update ;)

MM and myself on 4.2 acre orchard: Apple, Pear, Plum, Peach, Orange, Lemon, Mandarin, Fig, Apricot and Feijoa.
Plus 1 Dog (Whippet Kelpie cross), 2 Cat, 5 Sheep, Lots of hens and ducks - they keep moving so makes counting hard!! LOL And just recently 3 canadian geese

More
3 years 6 months ago #553046 by wandering free
Wandering free was a name I thought appropriate when I retired. In the end after replanting my Brussels sprouts 3 times I did kill the chickens and from talking to the neighbours it was his daughters that kept releasing them and he did warn them of what I would do, he thought it would teach them a lesson about taking responsibility for your actions when they effect others..

I didn't realise that LSB was still active.

More
3 years 6 months ago #553056 by To Do List
I really do feel for you.
Bylaw here says you can destroy them, been there and done that which certainly reduced the problem that but it still didn't resolve the real problem. What's really annoying is the laws refer to the animals .. the laws should refer to the inconsiderate owners who have animals without the appropriate means (either physical fencing or the mental capacity to consider others) by which to contain them !

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds