Chicks and no chickie crumbles

More
8 years 3 months ago #517998 by Castle Peak
Have just found a surprise clutch of chicks. I can't get to town until Monday at the earliest. The fact sheet says they won't need any food for a day, but what can I give them over the next day or so, mashed up hard boiled egg? Peck and Lay pellets ground up? Although that's an adult food and doesn't sound right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517999 by Stikkibeek
No, don't give them crushed layer food. It is not formulated for chicks and could do long term harm. Boiled mashed egg is fine, also boiled rice or cooked porridge in small quantities. I presume they are with their mum. She will help to fill in the gaps.Water will be an important thing for them too.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: Castle Peak

More
8 years 3 months ago #518000 by Castle Peak
Thank you SB, thought the adult food would be wrong.

Will do some mashed up egg for today and maybe rice for our tea, they can have some of that tomorrow :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #518003 by 4trees
Hi, some bread soaked in milk, is always acceptable by the chicks and by mum. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz
The following user(s) said Thank You: Castle Peak

More
8 years 3 months ago #518009 by Castle Peak
The mashed egg worked, thank you. Although OH thought he was getting egg mayo sarnies for lunch :)

They have rice today and may try B&M tomorrow if I can't get into town. This bantam was very cunning and had burrowed a little nest under the chook shed, in a tiny gap. I hadn't even noticed as she was always there for feed time etc. Maybe she heard me coming and popped out before I could notice? Nice surprise though and Mum and babies are doing well.

More
8 years 3 months ago #518010 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Chicks and no chickie crumbles
Not a lot of nutrition in boiled rice for a new chick. Have you got any cat or dog food. Let them out with Mum to range and she will find them something to top up with after their egg/or dog meat breakfast!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds