Freezing works for chickens and pigs?

More
8 years 3 months ago #517934 by Denneaux
Ah the things I ponder when I wake up in the middle of the night...

If you are a non pastoral farmer ( like layer chickens, meat chickens, pigs etc) do you still call up a stock agent or meat processor to take your animals to some sort of feeezing works ?

Or are they all vertically integrated and process their own animals?

If you have 1000 laying hens, do you eat 1000 roast chickens at the end of the season?

This is what my mind wanted to know last night instead of sleeping!

Unless stated, the above post is not meant as criticism.

Go back and read it again in your HAPPY voice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517935 by Stikkibeek

Denneaux wrote: Ah the things I ponder when I wake up in the middle of the night...

If you are a non pastoral farmer ( like layer chickens, meat chickens, pigs etc) do you still call up a stock agent or meat processor to take your animals to some sort of feeezing works ?

yes to the pigs

Or are they all vertically integrated and process their own animals?

If you have 1000 laying hens, do you eat 1000 roast chickens at the end of the season?
With no "freezing works for chickens, you will need a big freezer and a strong axe arm for 1000 of them :whistle: Of course you could keep them for a second season of lay

This is what my mind wanted to know last night instead of sleeping!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 3 months ago #517937 by Sue
Mmm, I wrote a reply to this and forgot to submit it I think!

As per SB, yes there are abattoirs that do pigs, the one in Levin does and I'm sure there are lots more scattered around the country that either do just pigs or along with sheep and cattle.
As to Layers, yes there are a few small processors but the major ones are for meat chicken are part of the integrated business from breeding, hatching, growing and processing.
If you had 1000 layers or less you may be lucky to find a processor for them, but due to the small amount of meat and its lesser value per kg it is hardly worth the cost of transport, killing , processing and marketing, and so dare I say it-the bigger farms may actually cull them and send to landfill or for meat meal!
PS Laying hens past their best don't make 'roast chicken' they make 'boiling fowl' or 'old hen'!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517940 by Ruth
People who work to trap and kill predators of Kiwi and other native birds are always happy to take excess poultry of any kind. Even if you don't want to kill them yourself, they'll take them away and do the deed and put their bodies to good use.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds