Fence standards

More
8 years 3 months ago #517475 by Mustangnin
Fence standards was created by Mustangnin
Hi, I am getting frustrated with portable fence standards (the metal posts with plastic insulators) I bought from CRT (Farmlands). They seem to snap off easily after a season or so. Anyone else found this? Where do others buy theirs from? I know I can buy a bag and just replace them- must look into how easy that is to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517480 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fence standards
Which bit is snapping off?

More
8 years 3 months ago #517481 by Mustangnin
Replied by Mustangnin on topic Fence standards
The plastic insulator bits where the tape threads through.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517485 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Fence standards
Were they very cheap ones or something? That's not the bit which breaks on mine, they fail by eventually snapping off at the base. I leave them lying around far too often, so some of them rust. I only have one very old standard with a cracked twirly insulator bit.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #517486 by Mustangnin
Replied by Mustangnin on topic Fence standards
I did not think they were cheap- about $50 for 10. The posts are metal underneath and seem strong. They have 4 plastic bits (not sure of the term) that the electric tape threads through down the stem and some now only have one or two plastic bits left. Posts are fine. Frustrating.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Mustangnin.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #517488 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Fence standards
If you are talking about pigtail standards similar to these,then the easy fix is to put a short length of alkathene water pipe on to replace, or cover the bits left. You will need to use a heat gun to do this, but the alkathene will outlast any so called uv stable plastic that's on there. You will have to spread the twist in the pigtail a little to allow for the tape to slide easily through.

If you are talking about the type that will take 4/5 lines of tape, like these ones, , then I'm pretty sure you can get replacement clips. Try your stockist. Failing that, they are not bad to use where you want a semi-permanent fence so you could attach short lengths of alkathene pipe here too, by using a figure 8 hitch around them with easy bend wire. Tighten. The downside of this is you will have to thread your tapes through before you put the insulator on, but if semi-permanent, that shouldn't be too big a problem.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mustangnin

More
8 years 3 months ago #517608 by 2D
Replied by 2D on topic Fence standards
If they are the second sort, then yes, you can get bags of the little plastic insulators. I did - though I have to admit I can't find them now! but that's my fault.
I, too, found that they split, especially the one at the top.
Can't remember whether I got my replacement bits from Farmlands or RD1.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517613 by keppelk
Replied by keppelk on topic Fence standards
If the white plastic dipped metal standards with clip on plastic insulators (the official name is "Multiwire steel post tread-ins"), you can buy a 10/pack of replacement insulators from Farmlands for around $10/pack. See am.gallagher.com/nz/products/electric-fe...and-tread-ins/G67513

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds