Houdini goats

More
8 years 3 months ago #517465 by Hayden1980
Houdini goats was created by Hayden1980
Hmmm... what a surprise? Just finished unloading the trailer into the shed and our dogs are at the fence barking away so we thought we'd go and see what all the commotion was about. To my surprise, I saw four of our goats walking the ridge-line on the farm paddock next door. Suffice it to say, I was not impressed. What's even more surprising is that despite my best efforts and all my research, they somehow managed to get past a nice tight 9 wire boundary fence and I'm really not sure how. I don't want to tether them but I can't have them escaping the property at will either. Any advice on how to keep them from roaming onto the neighbours property would be much appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #517466 by Mustangnin
Replied by Mustangnin on topic Houdini goats
Is your fence electrified? I suppose a boundary fence may not be ideal to electrify. At my place that is the only way to keep them in, having electric fences. Now they do not even test the fences anymore. They were fast learners.
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Mustangnin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hayden1980

More
8 years 3 months ago #517467 by Hayden1980
Replied by Hayden1980 on topic Houdini goats
No, the fences aren't electrified. We're now considering that option. Didn't want to do it but it might be necessary.

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #517491 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Houdini goats
Goats will either go under the gates, or the fences where they may be a little high off the ground eg under strainer stays, or, they will climb the stay and escape over the top. You can either try, a triangle device on the neck like this one, which is fairly crude or, a low electric fence at a height where it is less likely to short on long grass, and they can neither go over or under it.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Stikkibeek.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517499 by Castle Peak
Replied by Castle Peak on topic Houdini goats
I'll plus one for the triangle device as long as they can't pull it over their head! I can't use an electric fence in my goat paddock and the triangles stop the little darlings getting through the fence, cheap as chips to make as well.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517521 by RaeM1
Replied by RaeM1 on topic Houdini goats
We also used the triangles on some Boar goats that had been bred by Lands & Survey, they could climb through every fence, and one or two decided that they could climb the corner posts on the fences, and pop over, the way we sorted that out was we also put a collar on them ran a strong nylon rope from that to a small strap around one of the back legs, and it worked, Normally once a goat gets out it teaches its friends, as well. you say 9 wire fences, do they have battons, if not then you will need to add them to the fence. Our angus cattle learnt that they could walk along a 9 wire fence push against it, and basically walk through to the bush beside our farm. Going back to goats, we had 200 on a block of land at kaukapakapa, and sometimes I would come hime and see a group of them out on the road beside the block, so they got to the stage that if I yelled at them they would all bounce back into our block of land, then i would go around and find any wire that had hair on it, and would add another batton there, basically I ended up containing them all, but ti took time. You will find that you have a leader, you may need to tether that one, and then the others may not wonder away, its fun trying to shift a tethered goat especially if not used to you doing it, and can take a couple of people to hold on while you shift the said goat, in time it will settle down and things will be okay.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517664 by Baroque
Replied by Baroque on topic Houdini goats
One of our old calf club goats is named Houdini because of his excellent escaping skills.

I recently discovered one of last years kids had managed a new escape method of climbing up the more closely spaced bottom wires in the post and batten fences until it could get to one of the larger spaced gaps near the top and crawling through. It then "helpfully" taught some of the others how to do this. :angry:

Breeding & training quality Spanish horses - THE horse of Kings! Also breeding Arapawa & Pitt Island sheep.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517674 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Houdini goats
No such thing as a "dumb" goat :whistle: Although sometimes to fool you, they act like they are. Ours broke into the hay barn last night. They are as full as ticks this morning with more than a few ruined bales! Grrrr!

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 3 months ago #517733 by WillNZ
Replied by WillNZ on topic Houdini goats
I had the same issue, worked hard for several months on trying to contain them without using a hot wire (as their paddock was a long way from my hot supply) , but they got past all my best fencing efforts (adding more battens, raising height of fence with extra wires on extension poles etc). I eventually gave up and ran a supply to their paddock and installed a hot wire on 300mm standoffs at about knee height. This kept them at bay for a while but they soon learned how to bypass it! Moving it up/down had the same end result. I now have made the 4th and top wire of the 7 wire fence hot using insulators and this has kept them in for over a year now. Here's hoping.... :dry:

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds