Cell phone in the well!! Lithium problem?

More
8 years 3 months ago #517264 by welshie
Was checking the well water level and managed to drop cell phone in when I bent down to look! It is under 12 feet of water and not retrievable. Have tried!
Not bothered about losing the phone but do we need to consider long term contamination from the battery? Lithium perhaps? The well water is used for stock, chooks and for watering the garden. (We grow all our own veges and fruit.)

welshie

Don't worry about what people think...they don't do it very often.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517266 by Stikkibeek
Can you see the cellphone? A tin on a long stick can do a good job

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 3 months ago #517283 by Alan Gilbert
Not a good idea to just leave it there.
Try a srong magnet on a string. There should be a bit of steel in the phone somewhere.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517285 by spark
I agree, it is not a good idea to leave a phone in your drinking water.
The phone will at the very least have a magnet + ferrous metal in its speaker(s) and vibrator, so a strong magnet should stick to the phone.

A good source of surprisingly strong magnets is the hard disc drive inside an old computer - this youtube video shows how to remove them from an old hard disc:

(please note that removing the magnets from a hard disc effectively results in the loss of all files stored on that hard disc - don't think that you can put it back together and make it work again, as it almost certainly will not!)

Cheers

More
8 years 3 months ago #517294 by welshie
The well water is not used for drinking or in the house but just for watering garden and for animal troughs, and chooks Would not be able to use a long stick without pulling the pump shed apart. Will have a go with a magnet as soon as I can get one. Thanks for the suggestions.

welshie

More
8 years 3 months ago #517301 by welshie
It is NOT a smart phone. Will that make any difference?

welshie

More
8 years 3 months ago #517305 by Alan Gilbert

welshie wrote: It is NOT a smart phone. Will that make any difference?

No. If it was smart it wouldn't have fallen in.
Have a look for magnets on TradeMe - round ones with holes in (for string) are always for sale in Manufacturing and Metalwork. This would be rather easier than wrecking a computer.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517306 by welshie

Alan Gilbert wrote:

welshie wrote: It is NOT a smart phone. Will that make any difference?

No. If it was smart it wouldn't have fallen in.
Have a look for magnets on TradeMe - round ones with holes in (for string) are always for sale in Manufacturing and Metalwork. This would be rather easier than wrecking a computer.

Seems there are no magnets at all listed, but thanks anyway.

welshie

More
8 years 3 months ago - 8 years 3 months ago #517332 by Alan Gilbert
Last edit: 8 years 3 months ago by Alan Gilbert.

More
8 years 3 months ago #517356 by tonybaker
as a last resort, you could look at getting the septic tank guy to suck it out?
I wouldn't worry too much as it will soon be coated in the usual gunk that is in the water, and you probably have alkathene and steel pipes and electric bits down there anyway. Different matter if you were drinking the stuff. Talk to local well driller, they may have some suggestions?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
8 years 3 months ago #517367 by welshie
We were able to borrow a very strong magnet from a friend. Tried it first on partner's phone which is identical to the one in the well. They must have no metal in them as the magnet would not pick it up at all. No reaction. So.....back to the drawing board!

welshie

More
8 years 3 months ago #517401 by spark
Hi welshie,

You have said that you can't get a long stick into the well because of the pump shed.
What about something a bit more flexible like a length of 20mm electrical conduit or a length of small diameter alkathene water pipe? (electrical conduit will probably be stiffer than alkathene - harder to get into and out of the well, but easier to manipulate to get the phone)
It will probably be much easier to see what you are doing if you attach a waterproof torch near the "bottom" end of the conduit/pipe so you can see what you are doing down the well.

Stikkibeak suggested a tin can on the end of a stick [or the conduit/pipe].
Another alternative is a noose on the end of the pipe - thread a loop down the inside of the pipe so that the loop is at the bottom end of the pipe where you are going to try to snare the phone and the ends of the wire are poking out the top end of the pipe where you can pull them tight once you get the phone inside the loop (if I was doing it I'd try some 1.5mm or 2.5mm conduit wire - this is insulated copper wire, it is stiffer than string so it will hold its shape to a certain extent, but much more flexible than steel fencing wire so it is easy to pull the loop closed).

Good luck

More
8 years 3 months ago #517413 by Muz1
Further suggestion-try a pipe fitted to suction intake of pump and see if vacuum will be enough to hold phone against opening of pipe while you retrieve pipe. This would allow flexible hose to be used.

Everything Must be Somewhere

More
8 years 3 months ago #517420 by 4trees
Hi, just a thought you mention you cannot get a stick etc into the well because of the pump shed, how about cutting a hole in the floor so you can see down into the well, also if you had a strong light you should be able to see the bottom where the phone is. The hole in the floor could always be repaired. Also I wonder if a fishing line with a fish hook of reasonable size on it would hook onto the phone especially if it had one of those fabric type cases on the outside. Cheers and good luck.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
8 years 3 months ago #517437 by MurrayR
I would head to the pub and gladly shout the bar.
Have just had two teenage grandsons to stay who can easily spend all day on their digital devices.
Would consider a generous cash reward to any one brave enough to toss all their toys in a well..

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds