Bales of hay per acre?

More
8 years 4 months ago #516171 by ashesman
Hi there,

I am sure this question has been asked before but I cant seem to get the forum search to work...

As an estimate, how many small bales of hay are produced per acre? I know it will depend on grass length, type etc but I am just after a guide or examples from other people. I have seen a lot of internet comments that a maximum of about 100 bales per acre can be expected?

Thanks

Ashley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516173 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bales of hay per acre?
We got 560 off 5.5 acres two summers ago and about 280 off 3 acres last summer. You will have a hard job getting a close estimate as the weather can play a huge part in how heavy the crop is, when you closed it up and when you cut it.
the 100 per acre guesstimates you've read about is reasonable but broad..
If you closed up just before Labour weekend like we did, and you have enjoyed the good spring we've had, then you will go close to 100 bales per acre if cutting late December/early January.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
8 years 4 months ago #516176 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bales of hay per acre?
That's about what we get off well fertilised but not irrigated paddocks with 3 months growth.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516193 by ashesman
Replied by ashesman on topic Bales of hay per acre?
Cool, thanks. I will work on a max of 100 per acre. I just need it to help me estimate how and where to stack it, ground area and how many covers are needed etc.

Thanks

More
8 years 4 months ago #516199 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Bales of hay per acre?
If you have no option but to stack in the open, make sure the bottom layer of hay is put on its side, cut side down. That will help prevent you losing the whole layer of hay. Any tiers above the bottom layer, should be stacked flat side down in a criss crossed manner. eg. 2 facing one way (lengthwise)with the next layer, two facing across (sideways) . You could also use pallets on the bottom if you can pick them up free.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S
The following user(s) said Thank You: OwlNZ

More
8 years 4 months ago #516227 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Bales of hay per acre?
Our Farmlands branch have pallets that cannot be returned to the sender, so are given away on a first come first serve basis. Unfortunately they are not identical size and shape.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516233 by Steve_T647
Replied by Steve_T647 on topic Bales of hay per acre?
if you can ensure no water will get into it a plastic sheet (like that used under concrete) has provided a good option. If you can get air under it will be better. also check for heat a neighbour lost his barn a year or two ago due to hay catching fire (stacked before it had dried out enough).

More
8 years 4 months ago #516234 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Bales of hay per acre?
yep definitely depends on a lot of factors. last year we got 170 bales off of 2.5 acres so well less than 100 per acre.
Good luck :)

Confirmed horse addict.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516290 by lsbloke
Replied by lsbloke on topic Bales of hay per acre?
Hi

we got 215 big bales 1200mm off about 3 acres last year

More
8 years 4 months ago #517008 by rider1803
Replied by rider1803 on topic Bales of hay per acre?

rider1803 wrote: yep definitely depends on a lot of factors. last year we got 170 bales off of 2.5 acres so well less than 100 per acre.
Good luck :)

And just to emphasise this point I picked up 257 conventional bales off 2 acres last night!
1 less paddock than last year and nearly 90 bales extra!
Had to kick the tractor out of its normal shed so I could use that one for storage too!

Confirmed horse addict.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559410 by OwlNZ
Replied by OwlNZ on topic Bales of hay per acre?
Different pallet dimensions are fine for on the ground under hay as you can leave gaps between them

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559412 by OwlNZ
Replied by OwlNZ on topic Bales of hay per acre?
I think it's close to impossible to ensure water doesn't get onto a plastic base if storing outdoors. I would put pallets underneath and on top with a cover on top as first priority. Plastic underneath would also help but only if there are pallets between the plastic and the hay.

More
2 months 4 weeks ago #559413 by tonybaker
Replied by tonybaker on topic Bales of hay per acre?

5 acres, Ferguson 35X and implements, Hanmay pto shredder, BMW Z3, Countax ride on mower, chooks, Dorper and Wiltshire sheep. Bosky wood burning central heating stove and radiators. Retro caravan. Growing our own food and preserving it. Small vineyard, crap wine. :)

More
2 months 4 weeks ago - 2 months 4 weeks ago #559415 by Hertz Donut
Replied by Hertz Donut on topic Bales of hay per acre?
In case anyone's wondering, we got 687 conventional bales of pea hay from the husks left after harvesting 12 acres of peas, at a rate of 3.47 tons of peas per acre. It's nowhere near the quantity we get from meadow hay but it's still a nice bonus after harvesting.

Don't ask me, it was on its side when I got here.
Last edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Hertz Donut. Reason: More data

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #559425 by sugarpie
Replied by sugarpie on topic Bales of hay per acre?
I've heard folks throw around that 100 bales per acre figure, but it can vary.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds