"Sunday" on TVNZ

More
8 years 4 months ago #516332 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

bev wrote: I will try again ..
4 day old calves going to the Sale Yard .. = NAIT
4 day calves going to the Meat Works for human consumption = Direct to slaughter tags (this is where the tags have the farm ID, and is paid Per KG to farmer)
4 day old calves going to PET FOOD .. no tags... You may get $3-5 dollars for a small jersey calf. NAIT tags cost more than this!

If you still don't believe me, ring them yourself, It wont be on the NAIT website as there is only 2 companies im aware of in the Waikato that offer this service.

I feel you are getting ''short'' with me Bev and Im not saying you are wrong, but why I provided the copy from the NAIT site and what is excluded as per their requirements detailed on their page. which is meant to be accurate and informative so farmers can comply.

Its been said elsewhere a direct to slaughter tag was required (regardless of whether its pet food or meat works) and that is how I understood it too and how I felt the last tagging phase brought in by NAIT worked (ie no animal was to leave a farm untagged).

I believe if an exception exists for pet food bobbies, then NAIT needs to update their webpage information pronto. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516333 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

Ruth wrote: She did nothing then and spoke as if it were an acceptable or unchangeable practice.

It is definatly not acceptable.

Have you seen the farmers response video that went viral? It started as a video to be shared in a farming FB group, one of the admins asked if she could share it & away ot went.....Seven sharp, the radio stations, papers, One News etc.....he even got videoed by Seven Sharp on farm.

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
8 years 4 months ago #516334 by katieb
Replied by katieb on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ

max2 wrote: I believe if an exception exists for pet food bobbies, then NAIT needs to update their webpage information pronto. :)

Since not many companies offer this service I feel the best option is for them to say online they all must be tagged otherwise people will think(as many still do) that bobbies they are saving dont need to be tagged

The direct to slaughter tags are simply for traceability at the works

Slinks leaving farms dont get tagged but they do get an earmark & all farms collections recorded

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home
The following user(s) said Thank You: max2

More
8 years 4 months ago #516337 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
Letters to the Ed, NZ Herald today. Another farming daughter/wife from Te Aroha under the same impression as I. System obviously needs to be clearer. :)

More
8 years 4 months ago #516338 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
Letter in the Dominion today, echoing what I thought, that the media didn't do a very good job either.

They jump on all the drama and give plenty of ear time to SAFE, but didn't present the other side which is 99% of what actually should and does happen on dairy farms around the country-and explaining that calves don't have to have feed available all the time 24 hours, they are not 'torn' away from their mothers at birth but removed to a warmer drier place than a muddy winter paddock, and the cow milked to release the pressure on her udder which leaving a calf on her for a few days would only increase her discomfort and make the removal of the calf even worse on her.

There may have been moves to do this since-but I hadn't noticed-but it should have been done on the Sunday programme at the same time.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
8 years 4 months ago #516339 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic "Sunday" on TVNZ
There'll certainly be pressure to present that other side of the story.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds